3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2016 1:30 PM by mispel

I'm just living to make ends meet. How can i make my $ go further, having limited income?

Elena Maria

I'm living on SSD & it doesn't last even beyond 2 weeks sometimes; because of my expenses. There are some things I need, not being able to work, but know I have to make some sacrifices. Please help.

• Re: I'm just living to make ends meet. How can i make my $ go further, having limited income?
          W2W Community Mgr

Thank you for your question. An expert will respond with some tips and suggestions to help you with you limited income.

• Re: I'm just living to make ends meet. How can i make my $ go further, having limited income?
            Manisha Thakor

Living on SSID is a logistical and financial challenge for nearly everyone on it. The payments it provides are intended to serve as a safety net, as opposed to provide all that you’d need to have a truly flourishing financial situation. The idea is that those payments will at least give you some kind of base financial layer of protection and then you can use some creativity and tap into your community to find additional resources. At the most basic level, there are only three levers to your “income” to match your expenses: spend less, earn more, or borrow money. We’ll take that last one off the table as it’s truly a last resort! You’ve mentioned knowing you need to make some sacrifices so that’s a terrific place to start. I recommend taking a close list of all your expenses and seeing which ones you can trim back for now. As for more income, since you are disabled and unable to work, this is a great time to turn to your community and see if there are any collective resources you can tap into. I would recommend contacting your local community foundation as well as 'Dress for Success', 'Meals on Wheels', and if you are a member of a religious organization seeing if congregation members know of non-profits in the area who have benefit programs that could assist you. While the specific organizations mentioned may not be able to provide you with additional assistance, they very well could know of other resources in your community that can help.

mispel

Are you interested in cooking? I ask because your question reminded me of a discussion I read on another forum, in reply to a question from a disabled woman who called herself "HungrySenior." There was a lot of talk about how to get by on a small amount of money, making use of what she could get from a food pantry, and so forth. It might or might not be relevant for you, and if you are not really interested in cooking it may be downright boring! If you would like to take a look, see

www.chowhound.com/post/eat-frugally-1007619

About the forum: "Chowhound" is a discussion place for people who are interested in food; the people who take part range from extremely involved foodies to those who are just beginning to cook. You can read the site without joining; go to the link above or to the home page, Chowhound Food Community

As you will see there, the frugal food discussion is not typical, and yet people are often interested and try to be helpful - though HungrySenior's thread shows that you have to be patient with them - at first they may not understand your issues at all.

If you want to make a comment or ask a question, go to any of the discussions - underneath the question at the top of the page you will see a link that says "Log In or Sign Up to comment."