8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2017 2:49 PM by JerryD

anyone replaced "land line"

BoBraxton

I am following - interested in - the "Project Fi" (by google). Our current "land line" costs, in addition to Internet, another $30 per month for unlimited and uses a phone number we grabbed in 1984 as soon as we moved from NJ to Virginia. I would like to "save" that $30 per month and replace with phone (use same phone number) Nexus 6 P (the larger phone) and Project Fi, which does the telephone over WiFi. Anyone else.

• Re: anyone replaced "land line"
          JerryD

Bo, are you asking about a "land line" or a mobile phone service?

We replaced our land line over a decade ago with an Internet phone service from Vonage. After years of usage they gave us a monthly rate for unlimited service to the US, Canada and, I believe, Mexico (never use it), of $9.95/month. Of course, after all of those mysterious other charges that comes closer to $19/month.

You mention Nexus 6 (I assume you mean "Asus Nexus") which to me is WiFi, anywhere service. We also have an Asus Nexus 7 tablet that can do WiFi phone service over Skype for which we pay about $5/month. First, WiFi is good only where there is WiFi. Pretty obvious and maybe you might say trite. However, at a place that we visit often, WiFi access is either not available or private. Second, as an old telephone switch designer type guy, Skype SUCKS!!!! If you have a high-speed WiFi you may get a fair connection, but many have complained to me about the quality of my connection using Skype. Also, the functionality is strange to us but then we are not large mobile users. Still, $5/month beats the heck out of some cell service at 20 times that.

MG66

Get mobile service with Consumer Cellular (via AARP) and get a landline for $10/month.

cbslc

I looked at Fi, but I really don't think its a very good deal, if you have an existing cellular plan and you use data - more than 1 GB on your cell.

If you have an existing cell plan, can you just add a line w/o data? I have T-mo and its $10 to add a line with unlimited text and talk. You could then port your land line to that new cell line. If you have a bigger house that needs more than one phone, get a bluetooth enabled wireless phone setup. I got the Panasonic model with 4 phones for around $80 at costco. It will bluetooth to 2 phones, so when someone calls the cell, all 4 "land lines" ring and can be picked up just like a normal phone.

RetiredAt52

Got rid of original true landline in 2003.  Went to Vonage internet phone, same number as always, and costs 33 monthly.  We recently decided to go with MagicJack for 50 A YEAR!!  Works for us.  We also have cell phones thru Tracfone at 99 A YEAR.  LG Android Smartphone with 4G LTE.

JerryD

Went to Vonage in 2004. Still on it. Got them to agree finally to a much lower rate due to our continuous use.

Tell us why MagicJack is a good choice. IMHO Skype sucks! Isn't MJ just another same-old-same-old?

Tell jus some more about Tracfone too. Do you have to keep adding more and more minutes every month and then can't use them?

RetiredAt52
                        • Coincidently, I activated MagicJackGO today replacing Vonage. It's actually only 35 a year. Initial purchase of this USB device was 39.95 which included first year subscription.  One time fee of 19.95 to port my number from Vonage. Just need a phone line and router or modem and, you can take the device with you.
                        • Tracfone is my everyday cell phone.  Fully functioning smartphone with Android 5.1.1 operating system.  Excellent phone purchase thru HSN.com.  Look at the LG 5" screens or larger and triple minutes for life.  Runs 99 to 129.99 for phone, one-year service, and 1350 minutes each of voice, data, and messaging. If you run low on minutes you buy more and get triple minutes, ie. buy 400 minute card and get 1200 minutes of each.  NOT for those who are glued to their phones. Good for most people who don't abuse time on phone. 
                      KM

We ditched the land line in 2004 for cell (flip) phones.  Worked for us.  Switched to Android smart phone (Motorola Moto G 3rd gen) last year using Consumer Cellular. 2 phones, 1500 minutes, unlimited text and 1.5 GB for $63.70 including all taxes and surcharges.  We're not big data users in the sense we're not streaming videos, so it works for us.  We will be upgrading the phones to 4th or 5th gen since they have more internal storage and not all apps can be stored to the microSD chip.  We like the Android since everything syncs between our PC, laptop and google accounts (email, contacts, calendar, etc.).

You'll have to figure out what works best for you in terms of activity, travel, and how you intend to use the phone.

JerryD

We only use a cell phone on trips or when one is out shopping and may need to consult the other via the Vonage line. The prices you quote for ConCell seem pricey to me. Our current grandfathered cell service requires only one call a month and calls cost like $.15/minute which is good for most of our calls. We can text also, but I don't recall the cost. But we have no data except for a WiFi tablet. We are most likely considered light users.

ConCell does not have good cell coverage in some areas we travel to.  We need Verizon there. Did you ever consider Tracfone? Somebody we know in the area I mentioned used it there, but probably not for data.

Has anybody compare ConCell, Jitterbug, Tracfone, etc. for voice, data, text, WiFi? It would be nice to see a  comparison for new users. Really! Is there such a thing???    :-)))