2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2015 7:52 AM by BoBraxton

SSA do you know where your Record of Earnings is?

BoBraxton

My earliest filing of Federal income tax was around 1961. Because my employer paid me "under the table" I filed my Social Security as Self-Employed (SE). From 1974 when I began office work and got paid big bucks, I have never had any Self-Employment (SE). On the other hand, from 1980 ordination, my spouse had had all income Self-employment (SE). This has been transmitted correctly from IRS to SSA with the exception of two tax years: 2006 and 2007, when IRS credited me with both my employee salary AND the Self-Employment, which belonged to my spouse. Finally during the current year, I went through our Congress person and finally was able to get the correction made for those two years. I was very religious year by year to ask for and review SSA Record of Earnings. The trouble was there could be a delay of two years or even more where the amount would still show up as zero but eventually one year the credit would show on the report. Anyone else had any kind of Earnings record mistake like ours (just in general)? Have you been able to get it corrected? We actually started getting our SSA payments from U.S. in late 2011 when we both were age 67. He gets his. She gets hers. I believe when one dies, they will be able also to apply for 1/2 of the Social Security (monthly) from the other (spouse). Is this true?

• Re: SSA do you know where your Record of Earnings is?
          JerryD

I do not think that is how it works. Others may verify that I belief that you are entitled to the largest of the two of payments but not any portion of both. Best to ask your SSA office about this before proceeding on any assumptions.

• Re: SSA do you know where your Record of Earnings is?
            BoBraxton

I have mine "My" account set up - we began benefits at age 67 in 2011. You have an account, you are aware of what a great financial planning and benefit management tool it is!

We hope that you take this opportunity to spread the word to your colleagues, friends and family, about the benefits of signing up for a my Social Security account at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount. Let them know that with their account, they can verify their earnings and get estimates of their future benefits to help them make important financial decisions.

If they are already receiving benefits, they can get a benefit verification letter, check benefit and payment information, change their address or direct deposit information, and get a replacement Medicare card or SSA-1099 for tax season.