10 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2015 9:32 AM by BoBraxton

clothes the deal

BoBraxton

The dealer is delivering (from noon a two-hour window) high-efficiency

clothes washer and clothes dryer

top-loading

and with pedestal each.

We moved into this purchased house almost 31 years ago and the

clothes machines just keep on - like the energizer bunny.

clothes washer

110-26912690

serial CG1083513

Stylemaster

3.2 gallon

909964 Rev. A

Lady Kenmore (dryer, electric) solid state

heavy duty Plus

No. 691576

110-86194110 model

Serial: M24104 591

No takers for the "old" - we will be well to have 16" pedestal beneath

each new, 4.5 gal capacity (washer of clothes)

both front-loading.

(our dryer old has a front door, the clothes washing machine old has a top lid).

New high-efficiency requirements / standards took effect March 7, as I understand.

• Re: clothes the deal
          JerryD

I am not specifically familiar with the washer that you got, but beware that some Energy-Star appliances can be a real shock. Even though our LG can provide hours of interesting observation as it fills and spins and refills getting just the right amount of water for the given weight of the load and cycle choice and it plays cute tunes as it proceeds, don't expect it to provide what you used to call a hot wash. It starts fine by pouring in hot water, but then it proceeds to top it off with cold water. So you might start with a tub of near 120 degree water, you will end with one more like in the 90's. Maybe if I wasn't such a slob, this would work, but I reconciled with my inadequacies long ago, and I have no intention of submitting to an Energy-Star appliance!

My wife went nuts over this. She was ready to return it for an old fashion washer that really did use hot water during a hot wash. But, since she was very determined (I try to be very careful with the use of the word "stubborn"), she found a solution after many hours of playing with cycles and much Internet searching. The solution came from one of our neighbors to the North that was an appliance guy as I recall. His solution: Buy 2 two-way valves (like those used on garden hoses) and an extra hose. The cost is about $30 with high-quality hot water hose. The principal is to "fool" that smart washer. You add the first valve at the hot water wall inlet and add the new hose. Connect connect one hot water hose to the washer hot water inlet. Add the 2nd valve to the cold water washer inlet. Then connect the wall cold water AND the new wall hot water feeds to the valve. Now ya go it cornered! When you want a true hot water wash, just flip the valves so that the washer cold water feed is in fact hot. Now when the washer tries its energy saving cold mixing, all it gets is more hot water! Got Ya, you b....!

I can't wait to see what Energy-Star has done to the new hot water heater standard. Will we have to heat a kettle in order to add true hot water to the bathtub or washer now????   :-((((

canthony

Energy Savings:  Stop donating to Green Peace,  Hang out your wash on a line.   Watch your liberal neighbors go nuts for entertainment.  Go back to outhouses.  Ban home printers.  Reduce Federal Govt. by 75%.  Children Boys, must share the same bedroom.  Children Girls, must share the same bedroom.  Reduce fast food eating places  by 50%,  This will happen anyway in the next few years due to the high cost of labor.  I could think of many more but I don't want to bore you. 

JerryD

Where we live, our neighbors might think us a bit odd to hang out the wash although there may be some that would commend us on the action since they still recall that excercise. Heck, Mom was always after me to help her carry out the wash in the summer and when she hung it in the basement in the winter that added much needed moisture to the dry house.    :-))))

canthony

http://www.inspire21.com/stories/humorstories/OlderThanDirt

Good link to read for some laughs and bringing back good memories.

JerryD

"My parents never drove me to (anything). ... we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11 (pretty close for me too), but my grandparents had one before that. It was, of course, black and white ...

I was 13 before I tasted my first (real) pizza, it was called "pizza pie (We did have those pizzas that came in a box with the dough and cheese - I think Mom had to add hamburger.)." When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a (new) car until I was (9, and we still had it when I took my wife to the prom as a senior and while I was in college too). (It was a Studebaker)

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was (and the potato farmer came around every fall and asked how many burlap bags you wanted for the winter and we stored them in the cold cellar in the basement).

All newspapers were delivered by boys (No. My sister help me deliver for a couple of weeks before school.). I delivered a newspaper, (Switched to only Sundays - less work and more money). It cost (25) cents a paper, of which I got to keep (5) cents. I had to get up (and go to church in the) morning. On (Sunday), I had to collect () from my customers. My favorite customers were the ones who gave me (any tip). My least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day (and sometimes for 3-4 weeks at a time - one non-paying customer removed the profit for 4 paying ones). (Oh. I also delivered the last paper at maybe 1 pm after talking my way around my favorite customers who informed me mostly of how fishing was that week and after I sat down for a Sunday meal when Mom and Dad came home from later church.)"     :-))))))

canthony

I love stories about the good old days.  Hanging clothes on the line:  Being born and raised in western PA, Soft coal area, my mother used to time hanging the clothes out by the train schedule.  Steam locomotive powered by coal.  If she miscalculated or the trains weren’t on schedule, you could imagine what the clothes looked like with soot spots all over.  Then she had to re-dampen the clothes, roll them for a day or so, prior to ironing.  Everything got ironed.  My first pizza pie was very similar to yours.  One pizza place in a 20 mile radius, called Georges Pizza.  He was Greek.  Bicycle we had probably had 10 pounds of stuff added to it.  Basket in the front, fender flaps, horn, reflectors all over, people carrier over the back fender, streamers coming out of both ends of the handle bars,  a bell, Mirrors on each side of the handle bar, and a challenge to see if you could make it to the top of the hill without getting off and pushing.

Remember the new invention called the tennerotar, a motor attached to your roof antenna that would turn it to the direction of the broadcast antenna.  If you had one of them, you made it to the upper class.  TV is another story, just remember watching Captain Video.  I could go on and on but enough is enough.  My kids used to say to me, OK dad tell me how you walked to school every day and both to and from were uphill.

JerryD

Regarding our first TV, the closest US station was 125 miles away. It was so fuzzy that I can't believe that we actually watched it. Actually, before we got our own TV, we would sometimes go over to Mom's friend's place and watch. Her husband made the big bucks since he worked in administration at the mining company.

For "quality" TV reception, we would watch the Canadian channels from across the Big Lake. I still remember Dad turning on the "Saturday Night Hockey in Canada" program where the announcers would intersperse French. We too had a "rotor" to position the TV antenna.

Sunday night was BIG! Ed Sullivan would come on with all of those big name entertainers. Who can forget the Red Skeleton show, or Jackie Gleason or the inscrutable Jack Benny. And I still can't figure out how I could always watch "Turn on the bubble machine". I guess I was into music and the Lennon Sisters on Lawrence Welk's show WERE CUTE. I will admit that I was NOT fond of the accordion player. Maybe it was because I must have been jealous of my friend that had one that cost half as much as a new car, but then again he was a Croatian (or was it Slav or Austrian - who knows they all looked the same, right?). How do you say "povitica" again?

Now we have 100's of channels and frequently can't seem to find something to watch. I guess when you were a kid and there was maybe only one choice (and it wasn't EVER rated "R") you watched what came on. And what a disappointment when the test pattern screen came on and that was it for TV until tomorrow.    :-)))))

BoBraxton

Our family in rural area - house my father build about 1947 - 3 bedrooms, one bath, about 900 sq. ft. Ten family members and, yes, the boys (3) in one bedroom, girls (5) all but the baby (1960) one bedroom. To use the bath, take a number.

BoBraxton

next - we need to become acquainted with H E clothes washing detergent(s).

I am ready to pull out the December - report = with comparisons. Always something (new) ...