17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2015 8:13 AM by bevvie

Eyeglass advice for myopia and presbyopia

CLF13

I have been struggling with progressive lenses for a few years now, and am looking for advice on what to do to have the best vision possible at a reasonable cost.  I am nearsighted (between -7 and -7.5), and now need reading glasses as well (+2).  I still take my glasses off to read fine print.  I bought some progressive lenses from Zenni, and am pretty sure they are right. Since my Rx is so strong, any new lens/glasses takes some adjustment time.  I've been reading how hard it is to make lenses for both corrections simultaneously and how there will be an area of your vision that is just distorted.  I have also tried multifocal contact lenses, but the ones from a couple years ago could not correct vision over the range I needed.  I've also tried a single focus contact lens, but haven't gotten used to putting on reading glasses to read things near. I also have some glasses I really like because they have the magnetic sunglass attachment.  Getting lenses made for these seems very expensive. Does anyone here have any advice?

• Re: Eyeglass advice for myopia and presbyopia
          MyR Community Manager

CLF13, thanks for starting a discussion thread!

JerryD

I use single-focus glasses when working on the computer. Easier on the neck than bifocals for that activity. I have them adjusted for arms-length since I sit at a window with a very pretty view and this makes distant vision better.

I use bifocals to watch TV and read at the same time. When I put on progressive lenses for the first and last time, I thought that I was going nuts when I looked down at the table I was sitting at. Never want those.

djwoods

I'm with Jerry D, and for a long time have used bifocals and single-vision ones.  The single-vision ones are called "piano glasses," and I use them for playing music as well as at the computer.  It's not a major pain to have two pairs, and the progressive ones seem to involve too much of a 'learning curve' for me.  I hated trifocals. 

hwolfe

I have had the opposite experience to JerryD's.  I use the progressives.  I saw too many people in my office with two and three pairs of glasses and I determined that was not for me.  They were constantly throwing a pair down and putting another pair on.

When I first started I had bi-focals and they took a bit to get used to.  When I moved to tri-focals they were easier for me to adjust to, even with a major change in Rx, for an additional vision problem, that had square things flaring out at the top for a little while. This way I have only one pair, which is of course less expensive than two or three pairs, and use clip-on sunglasses.  Works for me. I was determined to make it work and it did, for me anyway.

Guess I should add, as he said he tried them on for the first and last time, my doctor just said "your brain just needs time to accept that this is the way we will be seeing now, it is never instant."  I found it worth the effort.  I still work and drive and use a computer and read and I never have to change glasses.  I have both a near-sighted and a far-sighted eye though I'm told they are getting closer to the same level as I age:) Everyone of course has different vision problems but the one I didn't want to settle for was the need for multiple pairs of glasses.  Maybe I'm just lucky it works out for me.

mikelly3614

trifocal progressives? if so, that sounds very interesting. I have similar neck problems with my progressives when working on a computer.

BoBraxton

My experience (positive) is very much like yours. For a long time going down a flight of stairs gave me some challenge. Mostly now I do not look and I also use the hand rails (in our house). I even have two generations of progressive. I use the newer most of the time, the older when I go work outdoors to garden, rake and split wood (such large-muscle).

bevvie

I started wearing progressives when I was about 42 and I'm now 63.  I am very nearsighted with astigmatism.  I LOVE my progressives.  I have tried single vision for computer work, and do find them helpful, though I haven't upgraded to the latest prescription (last bought around 6-7 y.a.).  I get my eyes checked every year because I have diabetes and my prescription has not changed much.  The secret to comfort with progressives is to get a big enough frame in the first place.  If it is too narrow, problems.  Some opticians give better advice about this than others do.  I find opticians associated with a professional optometrist or ophthalmologist are most careful, even if somewhat more expensive.

SDFAR

I tried progressives but found the area in focus too small for my purposes (reading,computer screen and reading music at about 36 inches.  Had trifocals made with the middle lens set for my music, and the reading lens a little longer than average because of my book and tablet holding habits.  They are Great!.  The ability to tailor trifocals to your particular needs makes them a winner for me.  You just have to be firm with the optometrist or tech as they have habitual methods which serve many people.  Be sure they measure the reading and mid-range separately for your particular needs.

Incidentally I had no trouble adapting to the tri's.  It's easy when they are right for your needs.

dgourd

I also had problems with progressives.  I have a problem with motion sickness and the progressives had the same effect.  I have two types of single vision glasses.  I have been nearsighted since childhood so wear distance glasses most of the time.  To read I simply take them off.  Sitting at my computer at work and at home is a pair of computer distance glasses that I use only there.  I don't constantly switch glasses.  Any time I am at the computer I wear my computer glasses.  All other awake times I wear my distance glasses.  It works well for me.