16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 8:39 AM by BoBraxton

octagonal shape with soaring roof

BoBraxton

For thirty years my spouse has dreamed of expanding our house, constructed 1970 when ideas about what is spacious enough were different from twenty-first century. I was concerned about building out. We have trees not much more than twenty feet out and putting down a deep foundation I figured would destroy (kill) these large trees because of all the roots. We have a spacious deck that I built almost thirty years ago. This I intend to remove (February?). We are working with Design / Build with initial idea of "octagon" shape (with angles) and soaring space with lots of light (meaning glass / windows). We are not yet into the actual design phase. The notion of what to pay is ballooning. At first I thought I might be able to do the work ourselves. I know of three times the exterior of this house has been painted: once just before we purchased in 1984, once I painted it myself (over a period of years) and most recent time we paid "Pro" painters to do the job. I have a lot less confidence in their job than I do in the job I did by myself (over a period of years). Most likely we will be getting a new siding job all around the house at the same time as three-season room - new - built on piers with no heating cooling and no plumbing but with electrical features. We are hoping to have the construction completed by April - May time frame.

• Re: octagonal shape with soaring roof
          JerryD

You might add to your "design" stage a visit to a few Realtors to ask what kind of changes are well accepted for resale in your area.

I wanted to add a basement type room and some more family room and kitchen to our modest first real house that we bought new. At the time, the architect wanted about $1,000 to draw a plan for a beautiful addition. I asked him to keep the cost of the upgrade to a decent but modest sum. The bids that came back were not even close. Even though the most impressive builder was the lowest, we bailed and I stop payment to the architect since he failed on the cost requirement by a long shot. And of course, the spouse got what she wanted anyway, that nice new house less than a mile away on a beautiful park. The sad part of the story was that the old house went up in price about 4 times over what we paid for it and the beautiful (and much more expensive) new house only just over doubled in price over the next 17 years.    :-((((

BoBraxton

My brain sometimes is at work when there is time to be sleeping. Wednesday I got up and drew (to scale) a modified version of the shape I am imagining. This morning I removed a bag of cereal from the box and turned the cardboard cereal box into a scale model which fits right over the Wednesday morning scale drawing. Spouse and I meet on Friday for the first Design session (after recent kick-off meeting), this time at the place of business (not far from where we live).

BoBraxton

Wednesday we signed the papers. The octagon became a rectangle. Ceiling will be cathedral (our 1970 community style is "contemporary" - or I would call a kind of "California"). Now the design / build will work on "pulling" the required permits. We are not yet at "pre-construction" however spouse wants the work completed in time for start of month of May. We shall see.

JerryD

Did you reconsider adding some type of heat/AC to the addition to make it a full-year area?

When you said "we signed the papers" I assume that means you have a contractor, right? With the need for permits, winter weather still ahead, materials ordering, construction, etc. do you believe that this work can be accomplished in about 90 days? Did you stipulate a must-complete-by in your contract and have the contractor sign it?

BoBraxton

First, yes - we are having a separate "mini" something or other (cooling and heating) put in to make it more "four-season"

This is distinct from our existing hybrid that does the original part of the house.

Second, this is our first experience with Sun Designs (remodeling design/build). The place is only about three miles from ours; and there is a similar one (we learned) a very short block from us, newer house, different style but similar build. When we took our walk yesterday we could see the work begun there - including pressboard (not exactly plywood) sheets to walk on from driveway (front) around to the back - and trusses pre-built already lying on the back lawn (still has 2 or 3 inches of snow lying about). Thank you for your perspective - very helpful to me / us.

BoBraxton

Lead carpenter works ten hour day, four days per week. Tuesday the second day of the third week - frame to floor is in place (and footers, 6 x 6 treated (ground contact) as deep as eight feet or so. One of these weeks we were away at a conference (Atlanta).

MyR Community Manager

BoBraxton, why don't you share some pictures to show the progress?

BoBraxton

no photographs (yet).

Skylights installed this morning (Monday) predicted rain did not materialize.

asphalt shingles, vented ridge.

Tuesday, "wrap" (Tyvek) and after framing inspection,

setting windows and two sliding glass doors.

JerryD

Maybe you will make that April-May completion that you desired. Did you put that date in your requirements?

BoBraxton

No date certain (which works Ok for me, personally - I would rather the job be "done right"). The new construction is replacing a back deck, which I elected to disassemble myself (having also built it about quarter of a century ago).

One fourth of that deck has become a performance stage (outdoor) for two grandchildren - not far away from the outdoor sand box. Then each of the other three - fourth I cut into two parts - and now, several of those I also cut in half. To make the saw cuts, I ripped up two deck boards (2" x 6") so this left six boards intact. Now I cut the joists where three of the deck boards joined the other three, separating into three and three. These pieces are 70 inches when stood on end. This morning, working with my spouse (age 71) - I / we created a three-section firewood storage (hold half a cord and more) with the two ends and the interior walls make of the three-board sections of the original back deck. We have a lot more materials (resource) to work on a second firewood storage rack (if needed) to set at right angle to the first. Also in our plans are an outdoor garden tool storage and potting "shed" / house - with similar idea. We have an original 3-section treated wood firewood storage rack which we are going to unload, moving the firewood to the new one. This allows me to disassemble the original rack - making the place we store firewood a bit further from the new addition - and right up next to our 31-year compost pile.

JerryD

So it sounds like you are re-deploying the treated wood as new infrastructure, correct? I hope that you are not going to use treated wood for fires. Not good as I understand.

So, when is the "occupancy date" when all work is completed?

We just started a new irrigation/drainage project or more correctly a contractor did. I tried to slip in a completion date and complaint resolution language but he balked at my add-on language and accused me (ME!!!!) of sounding like a lawyer. Well, he showed up late in the morning even though his contract said that he would  be there at 8 AM. It rained in the afternoon so he and a helper were out by 4 PM and they did also take a lunch break. Since they are hand-digging due to utilities, bushes and sprinklers, it seemed reasonable.

They didn't show up the next day, Not here today (as yet). He told me that the work would take 1-3 days. Hmmmm. Ya think that he may be messing with me?

Oh, I forgot. I also paid him a $500 deposit "for materials" and to be truthful there is a bit of materials like gravel, socked pipe, pop-up valves, and maybe some grass. Seems more likely that he is insuring that he makes payroll this week especially given that my check was cashed in an instant.

I did check his references and finally got a homeowner and a builder that he has worked for. Both were glowing. Just goes to show ya that one should follow his gut and get it in writing in a fairly detailed manner.  :-((((

BoBraxton

"substantial completion" and final payment(s) made. Planning a "house blessing" 20 June - all invited.

TroutBum

I'm sure you're excited to get into the new space but is there a part of the project's end that is bittersweet to you? Personally, I sometimes enjoy having a project as much as the end result.

BoBraxton

yes, I agree. Interesting how it "spawned" a host of others: new Hardi-board siding all around the original house, too; painting entire exterior; 5-inch rain gutters - new place and all around the old; firewood rack re-build (using much of the original back deck, which I dis-assembled myself - and built the "new" re-purposed firewood racks; new landscaping on either side of the addition, with the kind of stone patio work my spouse has envied for over three decades. My own joy is in reading and daily writing (poetry) still. Another "project" has been to work with Congressman office toward getting corrections to both hers and his Social Security earnings records - for two tax years: 2006 and 2007. That project is still pending. I am wondering how many of people here who have already been retiring and have chosen to Age in Place have done significant construction (beyond "routine" maintenance) projects as well. 2015 September will begin our fifth year in retirement.

JerryD

Seems like all of my "projects" are emergency or must-do fixes to the homestead. Just had an HVAC team fix a drywall wet spot that required cutting out the wall to reach the culprit, an elbow with a leak in it. So after $100's, I have a fix, a big hole in the drywall and yet another contractor to locate.   :-((((

BoBraxton

Saturday (tomorrow) is for our house the "house blessing" arranged by my spouse (clergy) with a small number of guests (and family) invited - to "bless" (and dedicate) the completed addition now called "the Gathering Place."