7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2015 7:49 AM by herbyreed

leave it to leavers

BoBraxton

2014 is the first year (after three decades) where we will not be doing our own leaf raking (and raking and raking and raking). 2014 is the year that my spouse finally got her wish to have actual (grass / lawn) sod laid in place. I refuse to abuse such an expensive improvement with your own metal implements of destruction (leaf rake we first got and used in 1971, Charlottesville, when our offspring was an infant). Leave it to the "lawn service" workers who do their work for a living. Obviously we still have our own house / home on a fairly large and wooded corner lot.

• Re: leave it to leavers
          BoBraxton

The first day of leaf collection found our place with pouring rain so leaves remain (on the ground). More continue falling.

JerryD

Don't have any leaf pick up. When I reach the mood, I crank up the big mower and cut them up. Don't bag grass either, just let the mower spit it out. My lawn looks better than those next door that are more fanatical. The way I measure my lawn chores is how long it takes me to do them, or more correctly, how fast I can get them done.  :-)))

BoBraxton

three hundred and twenty-three dollars! who knew? and that's just for the first pick up

BoBraxton

third pick up is done (Friday). We have never in 30 years been so bereft of fallen leaves.

BoBraxton

This is a year later - another year and ... We have a disagreement - a year ago is the first time we PAID (big!) for having the autumn leaves collected - and hauled away. Age (70 then, 71 now). My position is that this should be done one time only. Two times last go around - (or maybe even three times) but only the Last one is comprehensive. So even though leaf collecting had been done two times already, the third time was MOST expensive, so we wind up paying three times for one job! Anyone pay Steve's (mowing) for the leaves job(s)? Other deals? anyone agree to have the leaves done once and for all in the fall? The context - 2014 was also the first year we had actual sod laid (down) after living here almost thirty years at that time.

herbyreed

I would take a hard look at the landscape and decide if there are parts of it which could be naturalized - let the leaves be and allow nature to take its course.  Any grass will die of course but likely isn't doing that well anyway because of the shade.  If you have a lot of leaves you also have a lot of shade. 

Failing that I would consider investing in a large riding mower/tractor with a leaf vacuum attachment.  You will still have to have some way of getting them hauled away unless you have a corner of the yard where you can set up a composter.  But at least it should be less cost, particularly if you can manage to get them bagged up - in our area if the leaves are bagged up the city removes them as part of the waste pick up fee.