8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2014 8:53 AM by BoBraxton

Large 3-season enclosed space

BoBraxton

Three-season means (to me) no heating / AC and no plumbing.

Probably quite a few electrical outlets.

This is for off the back of our house where we have been living three decades.

My inspiration two or three days ago was an expanded (from narrow rectangle, less that 14' wide)

shape, heading out (wider) ad 45 degrees on each side where I view the edge of an exterior window

to be the limit, then another 45 degree turn (to make perpendicular to the house.

Final 45 degree sections make the whole space be an octagon.

My view is to make this be a soaring (high) space, as much as 16' - our other ceilings are 8'

Today I made some modifications to this dream:

1) I got rid of the 45 degree and made the main part be just a rectangle,

connected from the current sliding glass door about 7 feet or 8 feet out,

only about 14' but then expanding into a larger rectangular shape

about 16' 3" further out, total width around 28'

The house is longer on that side, at least around 35'

It has a basement (not finished) but no external entrance / exit plus two levels.

The upper level extends (overhang) 12" (one foot).

I use architect's scale (ruler) to make 1/4" scale floor drawing

as well as elevation and cereal box cardboard 3-dimensional model.

3-dimension for 3-season.

Anyone done something comparable? We are in a suburban county with a population greater than one million.

• Re: Large 3-season enclosed space
          MyR Community Manager

BoBraxton, thanks for starting a discussion thread. This sounds like quite a project! I'm curious to hear if others have done something similar.

canthony

Sounds as if you should hire an architect or very good builder (you have done some of the ground work already) and go through the loops of a building permit.  Probably save you money in the long run.

BoBraxton

We have been thinking for years (perhaps decades) about something like this. Thursday (today) we met with a local Design / Build firm and made our Design payment (retainer). Construction may take three months and would not begin before sometime early 2015. Exciting (for spouse and for me). This is in our fourth year of retirement.

TroutBum

Design / build is a great way to go assuming you have full trust in your contractor. Having spent a career working around construction, I've generally done my own design and always my own contracting. My next big personal project will be in an area where I'm not familiar with builders or building codes. Researching contractors is going to be critical.

BoBraxton

In this County the set back varies from one property to the next. Some are 25 feet. Since ours is a corner lot, we have a "Side" and a "Back" / rear of the lot. Some others might be 15 feet. The code keeps getting more stringent (good). Our 1970 house was framed 2" x 4" uprights - new construction requires all 2" x 6"

Another "code" issue is Chesapeake Bay water run-off. The sum of all existing roof area and the roof area(s) of new cannot exceed a certain percentage of the lot size. These all are things I / we rely on the Design / Build to handle. We do not have the knowledge or the energy to tackle such. My intention is to remove what I constructed about 30 years ago.

TroutBum

Our situation is quite different than yours in that we live in a rural area where most of our neighbors are deer or turkeys. We have a lot of outdoor spaces and one screened porch that we use as a 3 season space. Nearly all of our dinners from April through October are eaten there. About a month ago I finally broke down and installed a TV. Time will tell if that was a mistake but I've enjoyed it during the early college football season.

I've recently started to design a house to be built in the Florida panhandle, where 3 season has a somewhat different meaning. One of the ideas I plan to incorporate is an outside fireplace on a screened porch. It creates a great atmosphere and can take the chill off a cool night.

BoBraxton

The two people who do all the (existing structures) measurements spent a couple of hours documenting, now they go back to put all the data into CAD (computer-aided Design program).