2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2014 9:44 AM by BoBraxton

NYTimes: "The Older Mind May Just Be a Fuller Mind"

jkom51

Boy, did I love this one! NYTimes' The New Old Age Blog is one of the most useful and entertaining columns (various authors contribute) on a wide range of topics affecting an aging society.

NYTimes allows a limited number of free access articles. Column URL is: http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/27/the-older-mind-may-just-be-a-fuller-mind/

(Excerpted) "......Since educated older people generally know more words than younger people, simply by virtue of having been around longer, the experiment simulates what an older brain has to do to retrieve a word. And when the researchers incorporated that difference into the models, the aging “deficits” largely disappeared. "

Nonetheless, mental decline is always a concern. My MIL has mild-to-moderate dementia that is slowly getting worse. My own mother had alcohol-induced memory loss. My spouse had a stroke at age 50 and so I worry about his increasing inability to "find the right word" when he speaks.

What was notable about my MIL's mental decline is dealing with the reality of someone who cannot recognize her "weak spots" any longer. She resisted giving up control of her daily finances because she honestly thought she could still handle them; she was just making "a few occasional mistakes". But when the mistakes cost her $1500 in overdraft bank loans (not fees, her type of account actually 'loaned' her $300 every time she overdrew her checking) in five weeks, we had to put our foot down and say, "No more! We're going to handle the checkbook from now on."

But we have no children. Wonder who's going to say "No more" to us?