2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2014 11:04 AM by TroutBum

What are you doing to stay active? How about a marathon!

MyR Community Manager

I loved this article about 91 year old cancer survivor Harriette Thompson who completed a marathon in San Diego on Saturday. If you're not already impressed, get this: She actually broke the record time for women 90+ years old by nearly three hours AND she became the second oldest woman to complete a marathon in U.S. history!

What are you doing to stay active? We'd love to hear about your favorite exercise routines or hobbies that keep you moving!

• Re: What are you doing to stay active? How about a marathon!
          Arnie

I live near San Diego and I am 73.  I just bought a small avocado farm (200 trees).  I am going to do most everything myself short of climbing ladders to harvest the 35 tons of fruit.  I bought it not for the income (the high cost of irrigation water makes it hard to make money on a small grove), but for the relaxation of tending to nature's work and being outdoors with my dog.  I may build a small log cabin from a kit and enjoy endless guacamole.  It'll give me a chance to ease into full retirement over the couple of decades.

• Re: What are you doing to stay active? How about a marathon!
            TroutBum

I walk a lot, run a little, paddle a kayak whenever I can and frequently don't waste money on golf cart. My dog is very energetic and demanding so he helps contribute to my level of physical activity.

I will say that I never ran a 5K until a few years ago after my wife was diagnosed with cancer. She had participated in a breast cancer benefit race for several years before that and set out to shame me into joining her. Turned out to be a good thing for both of us.