6 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2014 5:10 PM by Art

class and taboo: chastity obedience poverty

BoBraxton

discussing salaries (if you don't have a union) is typically against company regulations.

It's also a marker of ... class that financial discussions are taboo.

... all went to same universities, are members of same clubs, and have same

(level of) assets, so ... are 'tells' (sort of like poker but positive).

My family of origin's "class" was less than upper.

My parents and their eight children lived on the wages of a non-union carpenter

in rural NC.

I am the first born. When I was a child I knew

1) how much my father got paid (and at age 7, how much I got paid, as carpenter's helper)

2) what the monthly mortgage payment was for the house

3) what the family donated to the church.

some lower income people imitate the mores of the upper class,

... financial conversations are taboo. ... if you keep quiet about it, then no-one will know ...

... talking about income is taboo ...

However, my spouse was ordained 1980 June -- and as employee, then associate pastor, then senior pastor -- all details of what she got paid were totally public -- part of the annual report of the non-profit organization.

I, too, worked for a non-profit. Personally I have never grown out of my childhood family forthrightness, although my financial circumstances have changed considerably -- but not to be discussed. Let your transportation do the talking -- our other Prius is a bicycle.

• Re: class and taboo: chastity obedience poverty
          MyR Community Manager

BoBraxton, thank you for creating a new discussion thread! We appreciate and enjoy your participation in the MyRetirement online community and look forward to your future contributions.

JerryD

My first job was for a company laboratory that was very class conscious based on education level and area of training primarily. If you didn't understand this caste system when you hired in, you might never dig your way out of it. There was no union. I was a bit timid about telling a 50-something senior technical whatever how to implement what this 20-something member of technical what-cha-ma-call-it that just got out of college last year versus his 30+ years of experience on heavy industry projects.

One breath of fresh air was an employee-published survey where people contributed their job classification, salary level and age so that others could compare themselves. I though that this was useful.

BoBraxton

so ... either doing that then and in that context was not grounds for dismissal -- or else employees (that published) did not get caught. I have never known what anyone else got paid or gets paid -- at any place of my employment -- other than my father's pay as a carpenter (I worked beside beginning 1960 through a short time early summer 1966). The university I attended had an honor system (and student-run honor court). Every "blue book" exam at the end of the work each student was required to write and sign "I have neither given nor received any help on this exam / work" and I carried that "bent" into the working world. For one thing, my first "office job" salary at age 29 was higher than anything I had ever imagined getting paid (about 1/5 of my eventual).

JerryD

The university I attended "places" 90%+ of the graduates - defined as a job, going to graduate school or entering the service. In addition, they provide ranges of salaries that graduates are getting for specific curriculum. This should be a mandatory requirement for all higher educational institutes, including the one you graduated from.

PS: I should have added that this remote, modest-sized, STEM university has several job fairs on campus where 100's of high-quality employers fly in to interview upcoming graduates and probably interns now. It is not unusual for the interviewers to be past grads so they know the environment, demands and challenges for those that have made it. I am aware of several large universities that don't seem to help at all. ALMOST NOTHING!!!  In the scheme of things and big bucks coming in, what does it take to establish relationships with prospective employers and offer new and inexperienced grads an opportunity at quality jobs through one-on-one interviews? IMHO just another failing of higher education for those that spend small fortunes there with little more than a piece of paper and maybe a few piers that they drank some beer with. Shame!!

Art

I'm very confused with your writing style.