3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2014 5:11 AM by BoBraxton

pay gender (in)equity

BoBraxton

My impression in the work years was that one was not permitted to disclose (or discuss) what one got paid (grounds for dismissal). Therefore, although I knew what I was getting paid, I did not know the pay of anyone else (peers or above). Further, neither in accepting a job nor in an annual performance evaluation did I ever request (negotiate) and higher pay. I was content with what employers offered and granted, at least in my public behavior. My work was in computers: 1974-1985 computer programming and office automation; 1985-1997 help desk, systems administration, data base design and applications; 1997-2009 higher education computer tech support (which is how I wound up here on these forums). Now that I am no longer under an employer, what will "they" do for me to disclose that (former) pay? what will they do, fire me?

• Re: pay gender (in)equity
          MyR Community Manager

BoBraxton, thank you for creating a new discussion thread! We appreciate and enjoy your participation in the MyRetirement online community and look forward to your future contributions.

LBS

Today is “Equal Pay Day” for those who believe that "The Man" is keeping women down.

Convincing people that injustice is taking place is a great way to push your policy agenda.  And that’s where the “Equal Pay Day” comes from. It’s the left’s claim that women in America are paid only about 77 cents on the dollar compared to their male counterparts.

In fact, sex-based discrimination in the workplace has been illegal since 1963. And since then, women have not only caught up to men in many professional endeavors; single, young women are outperforming their male counterparts in urban areas.  Women already earn more bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees than men do.

"Equal Pay Day" is supposed to be about boosting women, but President Obama and his allies are taking the opportunity to push two policy proposals that would hurt all Americans in the workplace.  The first being the minimum wage issue.  To raise or not to raise, that's the question.  And the second, Paycheck Fairness.

The White House and the Senate are focused totally on the idea that a minimum wage increase would help women, because women make up the majority of the workforce in several low-wage industries. What that actually means, however, is that hiking the minimum wage would deal a blow to women.  Many women would loss jobs due to this wage hike. The Congressional Budget Office estimates that raising the federal minimum wage to $10.10 an hour would result nationally with the loss of approximately 500,00 jobs.     The Employment Policies Institute projects that 57 percent of those lost jobs are presently held by women.

Another bad idea Congress has rejected in the past has surfacing again; the Paycheck Fairness Act.  But a law already exists that prohibits discrimination based on a worker’s sex.  The Equal Pay Act.  It’s been the law since 1963. So what would the Paycheck Fairness Act (PFA) do for women’s pay?

1) The PFA allows employees to sue businesses that pay different workers different wages, even if those differences have nothing to do with the employees’ sex. These lawsuits can be brought for unlimited damages, giving a windfall to trial lawyers.

2) How would it hurt workers? Well, you can’t get a raise for being a high-performing employee—male or female—if it’s mandated that everyone with the same job title makes the same salary.

3) Companies should be allowed to reward good performance without risking a lawsuit. Punishing companies that do not adopt uniform pay scales would cut the wages of both men and women.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has said that he will bring up both of these policies this week, and President Obama is signing executive orders that will increase the amount of information available about federal contractors’ salaries in the name of “equal pay.”

It’s policies like this that are keeping all American workers down.  I don't know the total ins and outs of your situation, but I'm really getting tired of this Administration creating crises after crises to get what they want, no matter who is being hurt, rich, poor, middle Americans.  It's about time all Americans stood up and shouted that enough is enough.  Our country has loss millions of good paying jobs over the past 5-6 years.  DC keeps telling us that their efforts are for our own good.  That our healthcare policies are not as good as Healthcare.org, but millions can't afford it, or have had their existing policies cancelled, due directly from the effects of this law. What will this policy due?  Does one really expect the results to be any better than they are now.  Everything this Administration has done in effort to proving "Change that we can live with."  Pretty soon, we'll have nothing to live for!

BoBraxton

spirited discussion and you make some good points (my university major is Philosophy, class of 1966). Might I suggest a book (and finish reading it myself):

Why We Argue (And How We Should)

A Book by Scott Aikin and Robert Talisse. Published by Routledge.