1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2014 9:25 AM by taconner

Adjusting to my husband's early retirement and planning for my own

charpetty

Having a spouse who is 10 years older retire 4 to 5 years earlier than planned because of illness has been difficult but fortunately we no longer had a mortgage and the financial adjustment wasn't as difficult as we thought. In addition to saving heavily for retirement having a 15 year mortgage was the best financial decision I ever made. Glad I didn't listen to my husband on that one.

• Re: Adjusting to my husband's early retirement and planning for my own
          taconner

My wife is retiring in two months & I will probably retire in the next 2 - 4 years depending upon the health of an elderly parent & a child living at home. The last thing I would have wanted to do was live with my parents when I was 28, but when you're broke I guess you look for other options. We also opted to go with a 15 year mortgage, actually tried for a ten year but couldn't find one at the time. We still have a few years on the mortgage but that is one priority before retirement to not to be saddled with that payment.

We also have saved heavily for retirement & have a military pension so should be able to enjoy our retirement assuming we keep our health which is fine at present.