8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2009 4:05 PM by thatsfantastic

second careers

arw

What is really great, it is no longer essential to go to the job every day.  The job comes to you. With defined benefit plans disappearing, any boomer or senior who is not internet savey is missing the boat.

arw

• Re: second careers
          bbrooks3118
          What do you mean the job comes to you?

I am a year or so away from retirement, I am reading a book entitled "Don't retire, rewire". I recommend it.
              li_rolemodel
              What's the gist of the book??  Maybe something about pursuing different interests, now that you have the time??
                rr_rolemodel
                I have a copy of this book by Jeri Sadler. She is a consultant to the Conference Board and has a fine reputation. My theory is to try a few jobs in other fields in which you are interested, even if it is on a pro-bono basis or volunteer. This can give you a sense as to what you would like in a second career. Good luck Bill Wasch Please pass on other questions with which I can be helpful.
                    thatsfantastic
                    I've got about three years until I retire from my full time teaching job, but I have been pursuing and lining up online college teaching jobs that I can do from anywhere with a flexible schedule. I have found that I really enjoy online teaching, so it doesn't feel like working. I think that is the key to retirement activities and second careers: find endeavors that don't feel like work to you.
                        rr_rolemodel
                        You hit it right on the button.I have had a lot of fun getting involved in new careers. What I find most interesting is going to conferences ie on aging and running into younger people in the same field who are making great strides. I have become interested in Senior transportation and am co-chairing our local Central CT board. This is an arm to arm door to door program which will be a tremendous help to folks who can't or should not be driving anymore. Check out the web site ITN America.
                          FrankZ
                          How do you find out about on-line teaching jobs?
                              thatsfantastic
                              I found my first online teaching opportunity on Monster.com, then heard about the second one from another instructor at my first school. I think it's a really nice part time job. It typically requires at least a Masters degree in the subject taught plus some prior teaching experience.