4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2009 5:56 PM by nyramon3

Tips for Social Security Administration

MyR Community Manager

It appears the Social Security Administration (SSA) has become user friendly with the variety of online planners, webinars and other resources it now offers online at www.socialsecurity.gov.

Has anyone filed for benefits with the SSA recently? If so, what tips would you offer someone who will need to file in the near future?

• Re: Tips for Social Security Administration
          nyramon3

I was able to complete the entire Social Security Benefits process online without having to go to the local office, which is quite an advantage. If you go to the office you'll be waiting for hours. I'm supposed to receive my first benefit in my checking account by mid November.

I plan to keep active by going to school which I'm doing and working part time

nyramon3

szubris
              Applying on line does seem convenient.  However.... my friend visited a local office a few month's ago (he will be 62 shortly) and after a bief discussion found out that he is entitled to spousal benefits from his former wife, whom he was married to for more than ten years, and who passed away a few years ago.  So, instead of collecting his own SSI, he is now collecting under his former wife's SSI.  He can now delay his own SSI for a few more years, allowing his benefit to increase.  So, for my friend, at least, it absolutely paid to talk to a live person.
                  nyramon3
                  Without a doubt, it did pay off, but he will receive only one Social Security benefit either his wife's or his own. Whichever is higher. For me it was very convenient  to apply online, since for past experiences every time I went to the local office I had to wait for hours, sometimes loosing money from work.
                howyou
                my husband applied late Sept.  Walked in w/o an appt. and was seen immediately.  Fast, easy, efficient service.  Should receive his first check next week.  Hip, hip, hooray.