3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2013 8:28 AM by Beankountr

Diabetic quirks

DeanDrew
      I have also been a diabetic for about 10 to 12 years and have kept in reasonable control via oral meds until 3 years ago and now take Lantus 60 units every night keeping my A1C around 6.5 to 7. I recently stumbled on a piece of information as I was having some serious issues with frequent leg cramps at night. A friend in the medical field that knows me, said get off the diet sodas! Figuring what the heck, I will try it and wow, not had cramps at night anymore. Geesh, I hate cramps. One exception though, I did over do it building a stone wall in the Midwest heat and had a few minor cramps but I am pretty sure I was slightly dehydrated. Got enough liquids (water) in me and all was well before bed time...you would think at 65 I would know that. Old dogs do have to relearn.

I am struggling trying to get a handle on meds, best part "D" plans for diabetics and how to keep costs down. Any advice out there? Do you have to pay for everything to satisfy the deductible first then get benefits?
        • Re: Diabetic quirks
          MyR Community Manager
          DeanDrew,

Thank you for creating a new discussion thread! We appreciate and enjoy your participation in the MyRetirement.org online community and look forward to your future contributions.
            MyR Community Manager
            Please keep this conversation focused on Medicare and refrain from providing medical advice. Thank you.

The site Medicare.gov will provide you with a ton of information.  You have the opportunity to enter all your Rx's and learn whether it will be covered and at what dollar amount or percentage.  Medicare divides drugs into 5 tiers, and each drug plan (Part D Coverage) may put a drug into a different tier level which impacts how much the plan pays.  

Keep in mind that Medicare is run by the government, so "simple" is not a viable concept for Medicare.

Do your own research.  Have patience.  Keep at it and you WILL understand how all this works before you select a drug plan.  Good luck.