5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2012 3:42 PM by nindethana

Affordable housing for seniors

ladyjustice

I would like to see information regarding affordable housing for seniors and those who are expecting to retire in the next 5 to 10 years. The relocation infomation is great. However, we should address the housing needs for seniors . Many seniors do not want to enter into a large mortagage when they retire. Some of us are presently living in apartments , and we are renting homes.

What resources are available so that seniors can look into affordable housing?

• Re: Affordable housing for seniors
          lotsaluck711

Hi:

I saw your post "Affordable Housing for Seniors".  I think your thought is the best one for me at this time.  I just am moving from WA to CA.  I lost my job after 11 years and still have a license in CA that will pay me some money for my knowledge and experices, albeit at least fifteen years ago.  I too had to figure out housing in my new town, Morro Bay, CA.  I didn't check out the Senior housing availability yet as I just need a place to call my own and I found one.  I was grilled by the landlord who said, "you have good credit but you have a mortgage and no job".  He was right and I panicked but gave him the right answers to get the place.  I'll be getting there sometime in January.  When I do get there I will be on the net looking for affordable housing in my new area.   If I get the links I will post them on this site.  If you got any will you send them to me?  Just reply to this on the site.  Thanks, Tom

ladyjustice
              Yes, I will certainly send you any links that I have regarding housing. Also, I wish you the Best Luck on your journey.
                nindethana
                One way that I have found a partial solution is to "join forces" with like minded folks.  (Three of us have found a place to live together so that we have a nice place-affordable)  We have common areas and also very private areas.  Wish you luck at finding such a place in CA.
                    ladyjustice
                    Nindethana:

Thank you for sharing your ideas with me. This is a good idea. I have been talking to my family members and discussing several options. We do have to be concerned about our expenses in our golden years.

I am starting to plan my retirement journey right now.

Until Next Time!
                    LadyJ
                        nindethana
                        ANOTHER part of this "living together" plan-is that we take turns traveling and being away for a part of the year.  The others take turn at keeping the house and watering and planting a garden etc. 
                        We are 2 females in late 60s and mid 70s and have a 60 year old male who helps with the heavier and more technical needs.  We have been able to do this for several years and it has worked very well thus far.  We have grown together as a family. As we ALL grow older I am hoping we can continue this arrangement and that we can care for each other through the health issues.  Our costs are less than 600.00 a month each and we have a 3600 square ft home near a lake, solar, and a wonderful garden and compost heap - We are able to spend our savings on trips and other things that we each enjoy.  We each have an agreement about parties and outside company to stay over-we often plan our overnight guests when others are traveling-and we all allow that guest to use our private bedroom and bath-----we always invite the household members to have dinner with us when we have guests.  
                        It is working so well--and this has worked for several years--but one must find LIKE and KINDRED souls to make it work.  Having PRIVATE space for each individual is VITAL....we have a no pet and no smoking household--I dread the day when anyone of us decides to move on to some other situation-this has been so perfect.  We also are able to have HOUSE EXCHANGE vacation times which reduces vacation expenses.

Do wish you luck in finding something that works for you.