4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2013 9:06 AM by herbyreed

Husband turns 62 next November

DonnaFeeney
      How long do we have to be married for my husband to collect from my wages and if he does start collecting at 62 (he does not work) will that make the amount I would receive at 66 FRA less?

• Re: Husband turns 62 next November
          MyR Community Manager
          DonnaFeeney,
          Thank you for creating a new discussion thread! We appreciate and enjoy your participation in the MyRetirement.org online community and look forward to your future contributions.

herbyreed
            DonnaFeeney said...
            How long do we have to be married for my husband to collect from my wages and if he does start collecting at 62 (he does not work) will that make the amount I would receive at 66 FRA less?

Payments made to your spouse on your record do not affect your payment.  I don't think there is a waiting period on the marriage date.  However, you need to check with SS because your current spouse cannot collect on your record unless you have actually filed for benefits. If you are FRA you can file for benefits and suspend payment of the benefits in order to get a higher payment later and your spouse could then collect spousal benefits.  But I do not think you can file for benefits  and suspend payments before you are FRA.  You would actually have to take the payments and of course they would then be less for the duration.  But check with SS to be sure.  Also, are your sure your spouse cannot collect on his own record? Whether or not he is working now is not relevant - if he worked a total of 10 years (doesn't have to be continuous) paying SS in the past he can collect SS benefits at 62.  The rules for collecting SSI (disability) are different - there is a "recent work test" in that case, but not for early retirement at age 62.  SS benefits are complicated, which is why you should talk to a SS counselor or at least read some of the SS fact sheets - all are available on-line.
                timmer77
                Before your FRA, and after age 62, I'm pretty sure you can file then delay the benefit, thus allowing a spouse to start collecting on your record, if he/she is 62 or over.   I have some in-laws that did this a couple of years ago.  Check with the SS people.
                    herbyreed
                    If so (can suspend benefits before FRA)  SS is being very reticent about it, because this is what they have on their site regarding suspending benefits. Note the only other situation in which SS says benefits can be suspended is when an application has been submitted and determination has not yet been made by SS.  One would think that all the options for suspending benefits would be listed.

If you have reached full retirement age, but are not yet age 70, you can ask us to suspend retirement benefit payments. 

•    

If you apply for benefits and we have not yet made a determination that you are entitled, you may voluntarily suspend benefits for any month for which you have not received a payment. Your request to suspend benefits may include any retroactive benefits that might be due.

•    
                    •    

If you and your current spouse are full retirement age, one of you can apply for retirement benefits now and have the payments suspended, while the other applies only forspouse's benefits. This strategy allows both of you to delay receiving retirement benefits on your own records so you can get delayed retirement credits.