4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2012 11:17 AM by PaulaAlice

Birthday on 1st of the month

wilsonbg
      I was told by social security that because my birthday falls on the first of the month I am able to claim the month before as my month.  Example:  Birthday:  Nov 1; claim social security at age 66 and begin to receive payments in November.  I had not heard of this before.  Is this true??

• Re: Birthday on 1st of the month
          Chrysalis
          wilsonbg said...
          I was told by social security that because my birthday falls on the first of the month I am able to claim the month before as my month.  Example:  Birthday:  Nov 1; claim social security at age 66 and begin to receive payments in November.  I had not heard of this before.  Is this true??

I'm no expert, but that is not my experience. I think the rules are: 1) you become eligible for SS on the first of the month AFTER you turn 66. If you turn 66 on October 31st, you become eligible on November 1. But if you turn 66 on November 1, you become eligible on December 1. You might want to call SS and ask again. Rule 2) is that AFTER you are eligible for one month, then they cut you a check. So I think that you will receive your first check in January.