4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2012 2:34 PM by JerryD

claim tracking

JohnHemphill
      Has anyone seen inexpensive software or spreadsheet template that supports tracking medical events, submitting claims, what has been paid by medicare, by the insurance company, what you still owe, etc?  I have stacks of benefits explanations, bills, canceled checks, etc.  I'd like to be able to keep track of it all.
        • Re: claim tracking
          JerryD
          Set up an account on mymedicare.gov at https://www.mymedicare.gov/default.aspx . I find this site very helpful in tracking my bills. It also tells me what Medicare benefits I am entitled to currently and I believe how long until others are available. Quite a good web site for a governmental organization.

Your supplemental insurer may also have Internet-based tracking tools. I'm pretty good with spreadsheets, but I wouldn't use one to track my medical before using what's available. 
            JerryD
            Tried to edit my last message but there is some jazz about editing twice so I have posted this. Just signed into my mymedicare.gov account and saw last 5 claims and what was approved and paid by Medicare. Also can search any claims which I have done in the past. There is info on your specific supplemental and Part D insurers along with ratings. 

Lots of info. Check it out.
                JohnHemphill
                Thanks, JerryD, this is helpful.  I just retired and started the switch to Medicare from BlueCross as primary, so I'm not too familiar with what Medicare site offers.  I will definitely take your advice and check both provider sites for claim tracking assistance.
                    JerryD
                    John, I have Blue Cross (of Arkansas) as my supplemental. Excellent Plan J (not available any more - spouse got Plan F, I believe) and coverage has been very good. I am sure that they have a web site to check things but I always seem to not have my wallet with my BCBS card when I want to check. 

It seems like the mailed reports from Medicare & supplemental leave a lot to be desired. We have a hard time tracking what was done and what was paid. Went to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN for some serious work recently and their detailed reports are excellent. I think that the mymedicare.gov site is way above any printed reports we have received. It seems we get multiple report and are always wondering what this one means.

My cheapie Humana/Walmart Part D drug coverage gives a pretty decent report that lags by at least a month. Haven't tried accessing their web site.

One thing that I like very much about Medicare supplemental coverages (not Advantage plans which one better understand) is that they must provide at least a specified level of health coverage such as Plan A, F, J, etc. That way one can compare plans on cost and provider reputation. None of this stuff is simple but there are some bright spots on understanding coverage, plan selection, costs and services provided.