10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2011 1:10 PM by ToniJayne

Ex-husband

Meem
      I am 64 and was married for 25 years, then divorced.  My ex is rich so it would be beneficial for me to collect on his SS.  I am eligible for SS Disability (because of MS) but prefer to continue working full-time.  I have a wonderful job that pays well.  That aside, when should I apply for SS benefits and should I apply under my ex-husband? 
        • Re: Ex-husband
          Lilybee

You won't be able to apply for his SSN until he dies.  You can apply for your own, at 65 or 67?, and then afterwards for his after his death.  Disability ssn may have different rules.  Contact Social Security Administration for answers to your concerns.

l_meyers
              Lilybee said...

You won't be able to apply for his SSN until he dies.  You can apply for your own, at 65 or 67?, and then afterwards for his after his death.  Disability ssn may have different rules.  Contact Social Security Administration for answers to your concerns.

from what I have read on the SS website, a woman that has been married for at least 10 years can apply for her ex husbands SS. You do not have to wait until he is dead but you must be 62 years old.
                  l_meyers said...
                  Lilybee said...

from what I have read on the SS website, a woman that has been married for at least 10 years can apply for her ex husbands SS. You do not have to wait until he is dead but you must be 62 years old.
                  I confirm that you must have been married for at least 10 years, and your ex-husband does not have to be dead in order to collect on his SS. What I haven't found out for sure though is, my ex-husband is 3 years younger than me. Does that mean I can't collect on his SS until I'm 65 (and he turns 62)?
                      ToniJayne
                      Swishums said...
                      l_meyers said...
                      Lilybee said...

I confirm that you must have been married for at least 10 years, and your ex-husband does not have to be dead in order to collect on his SS. What I haven't found out for sure though is, my ex-husband is 3 years younger than me. Does that mean I can't collect on his SS until I'm 65 (and he turns 62)?
                      I believe I was married exactly 10 years and one month, can I collect on my ex's SS @ age 62 or whenever I retire, and then collect on mine (which I think is higher) when I reach 70? 

BDavis
                  I investigated collecting SS on my ex husband's record which I could get while he was living by the way. However, my SS benefit exceeded his! So I received benefits under my own record. Your situation seems to be very different in that your ex husband's benefit would be greater than your own. Go for it girl!!
                      Lilybee
                      Meem:
                      Actually, I left out that you needed to have been married 10 years and have not remarried. 

BDavid:
                      Each time I contacted the SSA, however, they said that my ex would have to be dead before I could receive benefits from his SS.  Perhaps I made too much to collect on his ss.  ??
                      RitaPDX
                      Is there a limit to an ex wife's income level that would exclude her from collecting SS from her dead ex-husband's SS income?
                          SyrGigi
                          As a widow, as long as you don't remarry before age 60, you get to choose whichever is greater. You can't collect on both at the same time.

However,  I was told I could for example take my late husband's at age 60, then shift over to my own at my full retirement age.  OR I could take mine at age 62 and take his at my full retirement age.

Call SS and they can tell you what the numbers would be so you can make the best decision.
                          NJ2FLorida
                          I just recently found out about this.  You can collect on his if you were married for 10 years and are not currently married (divorced or widowed).  You have to be full retirement age - for me 65 and 10 months which I passed almost 3 years ago.  I just last month applied and they gave me from January of this year, but not further back.

I had not planned to apply for spousal benefits as intend to take my own at 70.  I (mistakenly) thought I would forgo the gain if I took his earlier.  I will retire when I reach 70 and switch to my own benefit claim at that time.  You can make lots of money and not loose the benefit (they don't even ask) once you're at full retirement age - it's just that you are paying taxes on that money at your highest level of taxation.

I've been telling everyone I know about this as I lost out on 26 months of income I was elegible.
                            SyrGigi
                            In order to receive FULL benefits from your ex-husband's account he would have to be deceased.  You are entitled to 50% of his benefits even if he is still alive.  The amount you receive would vary depending on your age at retirement.  If you wait until your full retirement age (65/66) you would receive 1/2 of his full retirement amount.
                            Often your own benefits are greater than 1/2 of the higher earners amount - but not always.
                            As mentioned by others, you had to have been married for 10 years and not remarried.