1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 28, 2011 2:23 PM by mattergirl

spousal ss benefit distribution

JVKU
       I just retired in Dec 2010. I went to SSA in April 2011 and filed for spousal ss distribution and also signed up for medicare, eligible in August 2011. SSA rep started the spousal benefit effective April 2011 though I was eligible for it since Jan 2011. She said that I should have come in Jan 2011 and also that I have not reached my FULL retirement age yet, she can NOT date back my ss payment. Is what the rep said true? Anything that I can do to get the benefit for Jan-March, 2011? Thanks.
        • Re: spousal ss benefit distribution
          mattergirl
          JVKU said...
           I just retired in Dec 2010. I went to SSA in April 2011 and filed for spousal ss distribution and also signed up for medicare, eligible in August 2011. SSA rep started the spousal benefit effective April 2011 though I was eligible for it since Jan 2011. She said that I should have come in Jan 2011 and also that I have not reached my FULL retirement age yet, she can NOT date back my ss payment. Is what the rep said true? Anything that I can do to get the benefit for Jan-March, 2011? Thanks.
          What she said is all true. The gov. looks at it this way. The rule of thumb is this; once settled on filing for your or spousal SS funds, you should always go done to the office three to four months ahead of the time you are supposed to become eligible, never conduct this biz over the phone. Make an appt. to see a rep.