5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 5:34 PM by SEPlatt

Generational divide in the workplace

MyR Community Manager
      What challenges (or joys) have you faced in the workplace in working with younger workers?
        • Re: Generational divide in the workplace
          vs_rolemodel
          Hi, CommunityManager, everyone.  I had to think a while about the question of
          whether it's a challenge to work with younger co-workers these days.  In all
          honesty I must say no, that the younger workers I am in contact with every
          day are just as kind, considerate, etc., as my fellow old-geezer co-workers.
          Actually it's the spectrum of human personality in the workplace...good and
          moderately difficult types across all age ranges.

Outside of work, however, I do notice that, for example, the custom of getting
          up to offer a seat on the bus to a disabled senior is definitely on the wane.
          Young people for the most part don't seem to realize the need to offer their
          front-of-the-bus seats to seniors who obviously cannot ride standing up for a
          long period of time.  I've seen this countless times--young riders zoned out
          listening to MP3 players,  having to be told by the driver to get up  so that a
          senior with a broken leg, or no leg, can have the seat.

On the other hand, perhaps we old-timers were just as oblivious of our elders?
          I suspect we were.

Best wishes,
          vs_rolemodel
            RetFireFEMTech
            Working in a hospital with nurses, I'm an Emergency Medical Technician, there is a lack of respect from many of the younger nurses.  Many have never worked without the "Tech" to do their grunt work and are more than eager to load it up on you and sit and chat about their off the job escapades.
                FrankTrades
                It is imperative that management make sure that the sort of things you describe happening are stopped!
                  SEPlatt
                  RetFireFEMTech said...

Working in a hospital with nurses, I'm an Emergency Medical Technician, there is a lack of respect from many of the younger nurses.  Many have never worked without the "Tech" to do their grunt work and are more than eager to load it up on you and sit and chat about their off the job escapades.

While I haven't exactly walked in your shoes, the generational divide in my workplace is very obvious.  I'll be 65 in December and am the oldest RN in "my" hospital.  Many of the other nurses I work with are very young (mid-20s).  To their credit, they are very kind to me; however, the work ethic of their generation isn't the same as that of my generation.  I don't know how/when they can find the time to play on the internet and gossip and giggle about their leisure time activities, but they all seem to do it.  As well, they've never been taught to pick up after themselves, which drives me absolutely bonkers.

Since management seems to be into all this "diversity" stuff, I've respectfully suggested that they might want to consider including some information on generational differences.  Want to guess how far I got with that?

I suppose every generation has its complaints about the younger generations.  It seems to go with the territory.  So rather than get my knickers in a knot, I've decided to take early retirement and find something else to do.  Being a hospital nurse has been a wonderful experience while it's lasted, but older nurses are not particularly valued.  If they were, there would not be a nursing shortage. 

jkom51

I'm retired now, but my last five jobs were all at firms with mostly younger workers. It was great! I made some wonderful friends and created a great "network" thatt's lasted to this day. I love knowledge sharing, so I send around articles I think might be useful for certain people, knowing what their interests/situations are. I get feedback that my friends find it really helpful, because when you're working you just don't have time to sit down and read about topics that are timely and useful, but need to be searched out.

Also, being older gave me the opportunity to mentor others, which was a way to pay back the fine people who mentored me in my own early working years.