2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2010 2:08 AM by DenisEnglish

Volunteering at a national park

irisiana

I am interested in volunteering at a national park for 2-3 months.  Does anyone know if that is a possibility for healthy energetic seniors?

Irisiana

• Re: Volunteering at a national park
          Goldfinch
          Irisiana,
          We have friends who volunteer in the Smoky Mountain National Park most of the summer and fall.  They are on bear patrol in Cades Cove.  They help control the tourists who seem to think the bears are trained pets and can be approached at will.  They love it.  They park their camper in a camp ground just for volunteers and are able to come home for anything important.  Good luck.  I think most parks would welcome your interest.
          Goldfinch
          • Re: Volunteering at a national park
            DenisEnglish
            I know that the Desota National Park on the Gulf in Bradenton FL is seeking volunteers. These are considered to be Federal Employees and as such have compensation benefits and some insurance from work related injuries. Being as that is the case, Federal Parks can be very selective about who they accept as voulenteers. Too selective, and they do age discriminate. They like the young studs and pretty college co-eds. So it is not easy to get into a nice park but again since it is a Federal Position, it does not end if you land it and some will provide free housing, but not meals. Denis English