2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2009 11:37 AM by hbcressey

Volunteering for medical studies

vs_rolemodel
      Hello, everyone.  In the last month or so I have seen several 'opportunities' advertised to join local research studies as a
      volunteer. If the age range they are looking for includes my own, I then ponder whether it would be worth my while to volunteer,
      for example, for a study researching the benefits of a new drug, or perhaps a sleep study with one or more overnight stays required.  I contemplate the prospect of receiving a placebo rather than the actual studied drug; I wonder which might possibly be more troubling for me.  My final thoughts are usually against signing on, but the remuneration offerred can sometimes be very tempting.

Has anyone here ever volunteered for a medical research study?   What were the risks?  What were the perks?  Were you paid well?  

vs_rolemodel
        • Re: Volunteering for medical studies
          hbcressey
          I have been in several clinical trials and recommend them.  You do have to check out what you're signing up for, and might want to ask your physician about it.  I have declined to participate in one or two.  But of the studies I did particiapte in, all experiences were positive.  Compensation varies from nothing to quite a bit!  I am widowed with no children, so I figure I've little to lose and potentially much to contribute; and as a scientist myself, I find the whole thing intellectually and emotionally satisfying.  So if a reputable organization is sponsoring the study, and you have the time and interest to contribute - go for it!
            • Re: Volunteering for medical studies
              hbcressey
              As a post-script to my above message, I want to add that any good clinical trial will give you a thorough physical work-up - this can be valuable!  This is how I discovered a few, potentially serious conditions that were lurking behind my apparently healthy facade!  Some conditions might disqualify you from the study, but you still have the information, which has cost you nothing (in dollars), and can be potentially life-saving.  Give it a try!