3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 11:32 AM by janc

Volunteering in relocation country

EJG
      Hello, I am new to myretirement.org.  I am still employed with the University of Washington, with plans to retire in a few years.

I then will hope to relocate to the UK [Edinbugh, Scotland] as a permanent resident, retired status.  While living in Edinburgh I would love to be able to volunteer for a worthy cause or two, specifically in the area of companion or wildlife animal welfare.  I have briefly reviewed the regulations applicable to remaining in the UK  as a permanent retired resident alien.  My interpretation of the issue of volunteerism is that a retired UK resident alien is prohibited from working, and that this prohibition includes non-paid work.

I would be interested to learn if any participants here have relocated to the UK [or to other Euiropean countries] after retirement; have you been allowed to do volunteer work?    If so, did you have to jump through any bureaucratic hoops in order to do so?

I speculate that having pursued educational interests specific to the volunteering venue would be a plus, but I am not
      certain whether any amount of expertise in a particular area could override the rule of no paid or unpaid work for retired non-citizens.

Best regards,
      EJG
        • Re: Volunteering in relocation country
          rr_rolemodel
          Dear EJG: I enjoyed reading your note and wonder if I can pass on some thoughts. First I love UW where my son-in-law went to Medical School. He and our daughter and granddaughter live in West Seattle and they both own a healing arts center in Wallingford. He does accupuncture and she is a clinical psychologist. We get there about twice a year especially in the summer when the weather is so spectacular. Regarding your thoughts about retiring in Scotland and doing volunteer work. I wonder if you checked out the World Wildlife Fund to see what they can pass on. I have a contact there whose email I can share if you wish. You may recall that Prince Charles is very active in this organization. I can still see that wonderful scene with the horse in the movie with Helen Moreen (spelling) in the Queen. My son started an environmental ngo in Russia. Check out the web site. www.wesleyan.edu/aasei I would also check with the British consulate on the retirement and work or volunteer issue. Good luck and let's keep in touch. Bill Wasch
              EJG
              Hello, Bill.  Thanks very much for your speedy reply.  I know Wallingford very well, having lived in that Seattle neighborhood for the last 32 years.  If you wish to share the name of  your daughter's healing arts business there, I may give them some business or recommend them to my friends [I have listed my email address in the next paragraph]..

Thanks also for mentioning the WWF [World Wildlife Fund].  I hadn't thought of that group, and will definitely get in touch with them regarding whether they use volunteers in Scotland.  I visit Edinburgh annually, am a  contributing member of several US and UK animal welfare/rescue organizations.  I've also taken e-courses on companion animal, farm animal and wildlife welfare through the Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals [SSPCA] and the University of Edinburgh.  I would appreciate knowing the email address of your WWF contact [you may email me at bj197@scn.org], thanks very much.

I plan to get in touch with the British Consulate a bit closer to my actual date of retirement.  I have perused their website and googled my way through a bit of information regarding US expatriation and British immigration.  The population of Scotland is projected to decline over the next decade, and I read that the Scottish government is concerned about it.  Perhaps as a result, even though I will be retired, they might look on my willingness to live there and volunteer with more interest.; we'll see.

Russia is, coincidentally, another of my main interests; or rather, the study of foreign languages is a strong interest for me,
              and I have studied Russian at the UW and with a tutor for over ten  years.  I visited the former Soviet Union in 1990.  This
              is a topic I hope to post on in the 'Learning & Interests' section soon.  Thanks for sharing the URL for your son's AASEI organization; very interesting indeed; I have bookmarked it for a closer look later.

Thanks again for your kind reply
              Best regards,
              EJG
              janc
              EJG - When I had permanent resident status in the UK (and long before I retired), I volunteered during most of my 11 years in England. I was never asked about my residency status or to show my passport. The volunteer center just said, Thanks! Perhaps it depends upon the type of volunteering you're doing. I expect if there were any threat that you were taking a job from a UK citizen looking for paid work, you would be turned away (as would happen here).
              -janc