4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2014 3:48 PM by mujokan

Traveling gluten free

tedda68
      I retired last year at age 62. I was diagnosed celiac in 2009.  I do not let the disease stop me from traveling, but it can get frustrating.  I would like to know more about traveling overseas and what English speaking countries' diets are gluten free friendly.  
      Usually when I travel within the US, I have to research the areas first, and also access wi-fi so that I can research restaurants on the go.  If that fails, I usually resort to a salad, which can get boring to eat repeatedly when nothing else is available.  I make a point of shopping locally while abroad too which helps.
      Any tips from other celiacs would be most helpful on traveling overseas 
        • Re: Traveling gluten free
          MyR Community Manager
          tedda68, thank you for creating a new discussion thread! We appreciate and enjoy your participation in the MyRetirement.org online community and look forward to your future contributions.
            ebristow

My wife has celiac. We have discovered that England is welcoming in this regard. Many restaurants offer gluten-free dishes, including several good chains of Italian restaurants. In Grassington, Yorkshire,  we found a tea parlour with no less than four gluten-free desserts. One can find restaurants with substantial gluten-free menus on websites dedicated to celiac. But it is possible to find dishes in many other places. EB
              My wife, originally from Scotland, was diagnosed as celiac 6 years ago. We have found that Britain and most N. European countries are very aware of the condition and cater to it, since that seems to be where the disease originated. She found that even in villages the pubs and cafes seemed to have several gluten-free items on their menus. If in Scotland, by the way, there is an excellent bread, named Genius bread, which my wife highly recommends.
                  The US is farther behind in this regard. Some chains are more accommodating than others. Applebees has hardly anything while Outback has an extensive gluten free menu since I understand that a relative of the owner is celiac. Many higher-end restaurants will make accommodations, being willing to modify and substitute as needed. Somethimes problematic is salad dressing, so my wife takes small packets of Bob Evans Colonial dressing along with her just to be safe.
                 Enjoy your travels! 
                If you use the internet, there are many sites devoted to 'gluten free travel,' or 'celiac travel.'  Online you can also find restaurant cards explaining the GF diet---in multiple languages! I spent two months in India, and never fell ill, though I am extremely sensitive to gluten. It can be done.