7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 9:44 PM by BonShoemaker

solo travel hawaii

I want to travel to Honolulu in Sept stay in 4/5  star hotel, any suggestions on hotels to review? I don't want to spend any more than $250.00 $300.00 a night for 4 days . Want a variety of places to dine, love to shop, and take in the sights. Leaning toward the Outrigger On The Beach. This is also my 65th birthday. Thanks
        • Re: solo travel hawaii
          MyR Community Manager
          butchie,

Thank you for creating a new discussion thread! We appreciate and enjoy your participation in the MyRetirement.org online community and look forward to your future contributions.
              PatandMaggie
              We lived in Honolulu for a year.  Don't waste your time hiking Diamond Head but do go on the Tantalous Road to the Punch Bowl Crater.  Beautiful views of Honolulu, thrilling drive and a history lesson all in one.  The North Shore is worth the drive.
              Great hamburger joints and seafood trucks along the way.  Enjoy.  Wish we were still there.
              smaneck
              butchie said...
              I want to travel to Honolulu in Sept stay in 4/5  star hotel, any suggestions on hotels to review? I don\'t want to spend any more than $250.00 $300.00 a night for 4 days . Want a variety of places to dine, love to shop, and take in the sights. Leaning toward the Outrigger On The Beach. This is also my 65th birthday.Thanks
              If you can put up with 3 star hotel and don't need to be right on the beach (but within walking distance) there are affordable ones in Waikiki. I was able a to get one in Waikiki Central bidding $75 a night on Priceline. There was an outdoor market place right across the street and affordable eateries all around. 
                I live in Hawaii and the Outrigger chain has many hotels.  The one you are considering is among their best and its location is unbeatable.
                  Gretchen1
                  Waikiki beach=Miami Beach with leis.  Search out the REAL Hawaii by going to one of the museums or palaces.  Take a drive up the Old Pali Hwy to see the jungle...
                    SINGLEGAL
                    i absolutely love the MOANA Surfrider on Wikiki Beach.  It is right in the middle of shopping, you can easily walk to the public beach which is wave-free, or next door to the Pink Lady Hotel and there is no coral in the water to cut your feet. 
                    It is an old fashioned, gracious hotel with daily hawaiian entertainment in the backyard/beach.  It is not one of those modern, plastic, it could be anywhere they all look the same hotels. 
                    have  a wonderful trip. 
                    Val
                      BonShoemaker
                      I traveled solo to Hawaii and found it was not well suited for a single traveler. Everything was geared to couples. I stuck it out and did everything I wanted to do, but it was just so strange. Usually traveling alone has not been a problem for me, anywhere else I have been. But even attending a luau was awkward as I was seated at a table all alone. Just a head's up. Hope your trip is awesome - you will see some incredible sights.