2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2012 6:52 PM by JRR

Moving to Florida

JRR
      I plan to retire later in 2012 and relocate from Washington DC area to Florida - either West Palm Beach or Tampa; have family in both areas.  Would like to know the differences between both coasts, and real difference in living costs - I already know I would have to pay more for property insurance - anything else to take into account.  Would love to live within 1-2  miles of the coast - please share advantages/drawbacks of living close to the water and several miles away.  How big is the risk from hurricanes? Are services  such as maid service and lawn care really cheaper than the north east? Are utilities cheaper?  Fresh veggies and fruit make up 60% of my food budget - are these really cheaper in Florida?

• Re: Moving to Florida
          jkom51
          You might want to consider spending some time renting in both areas. It's usually a mistake to not have real-time experience with a new location. Other people's experiences and subjective opinions will not necessarily be yours.

With the collapse of the RE market it shouldn't be difficult to find a condo to rent in both areas. Try living in one place for 6 months and then go to the second city. Once you've had the day-to-day experiences under your belt, I think you'll find your choice will be easily made.
            • Re: Moving to Florida
              JRR
              Thanks; I am looking for a short-sale condo in a good rental market in the Tampa area, for us to store our household for about a year while we travel, and then rent out when we are ready to  buy a  house again....my experience  buying a short-sale condo with good rental potential has been very positive...