14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2012 9:31 AM by Lilybee

Retiring in Atlanta

JRR
      Planning to move to Atlanta later in 2012 or Sring 2013, from suburban Washington, DC.  Main reasons for moving - lower living costs - my equity in my home will be enogh to psyvcash for a decnt home - warmer weather, and hopefully, warmer people too!  Would love to hear from retirees in Atlanta.
        • Re: Retiring in Atlanta
          mpax356
          Check out county taxes. Fulton county is high. Forsyth exempts seniors age 66 from most property taxes. This can be worth thousands. Don't know about the other counties.
            taconner
            My wife is from Atlanta so we go  back there every year to visit her large extended family. We currently live in Texas & while it gets hot here in the Dallas area during the summer months, we don't have the humidity that Georgia has. I find the summers in Georgia absolutely stifling; we lived in the Washington area before & it's not much different from what you get if my memory is correct. We  recently visited Savannah, which is a beautiful place, so we may opt to move to the seaside once we complete another three or four years of work & turn 66. You may still have the humidity but hopefully some sea breezes as well.
                JRR
                Thanks for the thoughtful feedback -
                    piloti
                    We've lived in Atlanta for over 25years.  Cobb Cty has full exemption for school taxes at age 62, will cut prop tax 
                    bill in half at least.  We've been thinking about retiring up in
                    the beautiful Georgia mountains, but love our home in Atlanta.
                    Real estate has been hit especially hard by the last deep recession so this might be a good time to start looking.
                        JRR
                        Thank you - we are making a trip out there later this month to get a feel for the city and check out neighborhoods -
                            JerryD
                            IMO it's a good strategy to check the area and neighborhoods before jumping. We moved to an area totally foreign to us. We spent a bit of time looking at the area and very little time looking at specific homes except to see what you can get for your money. We articulated our wants to the best relocation realtors we could find at the largest realtors. While visiting for a holiday with kids and on one of the exploratory trips to a place we found a beauty that might be up for sale in a bit. We had to keep following because the realtor dropped the ball and we spotted it during our diligent Internet surveillance (wonderful tool for remote house shopping). Did further research on the specific area around the house to insure that the price was reasonable, development was not likely and that the existing farm/ranch operations were not too close for comfort.

Been here over 7 years and no serious regrets. 
                                JRR
                                Very good suggestions - thanks!  I will be a staying with a good friend who knows both Atlanta and my preferences well and will guide me - also have a couple of other friends, and will be checking out their neighborhooods as well -  
                                    snoopysdad
                                    Having lived off and on in Atlanta for the last 50 years, I now tend to say that I would not mind living in Atlanta but only if I am retired and can choose my time to try and get anywhere.  Traffic is horrendous.  And yes, humidity can be bad, but when the dogwood and azaleas manage to bloom together, it can be paradise.  I will say that AA is better there than anywhere I have ever found, because the people really care about one another.  True of non-AA folks also.  Best of luck.
                                        JRR
                                        snoopysdad said...
                                        Having lived off and on in Atlanta for the last 50 years, I now tend to say that I would not mind living in Atlanta but only if I am retired and can choose my time to try and get anywhere.  Traffic is horrendous.  And yes, humidity can be bad, but when the dogwood and azaleas manage to bloom together, it can be paradise.  I will say that AA is better there than anywhere I have ever found, because the people really care about one another.  True of non-AA folks also.  Best of luck.

Everyone tell me Atlanta highways are crowded and slow, but I don't expect to drive anywhere during rush hours during weekdays - my main concern is the cultural environment.  Having spent 28 years in Chicago's Lincoln Park and last 11 in Silver Spring, right outside Washington, DC, I am used to a truly multi-cultural setting - people speak a dozen languages where I live, and my restaurant choices include, in addition to Red Lobster and Macaroni Grill, Mexican, Peruvian, Indian, Thai and Ethopian...I am fairly sure I wouldn't like living in Wonder white bread communities of cookie-cutter homes....I am hoping to make friends from my age cohort in Atlanta - baby boomers exposed to many cultures during college years - please correct me if I am wrong!      
                                            Patgrick
                                            We are thinking of our own retirement...and while folks who live in Atlanta has been recommending it to us we are still undecided. 

We are considering FL, just outside of Jacksonville area where I have been told that the weather does not get as humid or as hot as Atlanta.  Any ideas?
                                                JRR

One of my primary criteria is access to big airport with a choice of discount flights to Europe/Asia -  we too thought of northern Florida but abandoned the idea because of air travel will cost more and most often will require connection at a major airport like Atlanta or Miami -
                                                Another strike against northern FL is lack of cultural opportunities - theater, foreign movies,  different fods -  northern FL is a kind of flops-cutoffs-BudLight country!    
                                                  Lilybee
                                                  Just noticed your post.  I lived in Jacksonville for a year (Meadow Pointe area about 10 miles from the ocean), and I loved it.  Weather was great, area was clean and beautiful, and there were many places to ride my bike.  Of course, that was ten years ago when the area was booming.  So I'm sure things have changed.  If I had my druthers, I would go back. 

For those of you considering moving, check out Zillow.com for prices of homes in the area you wish to move.  It's a great resource I wish I knew about before I purchased a house.  Contrary to what they say, realtors work for the sellers.

NickWunder
                                  We are also considering moving to the Atlanta area from Florida.  We've visited Soleil (web address at:  soleillaurelcannon.com and would be very interested in hearing opinions on that community which is just north of Atlanta