6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2010 10:11 AM by ggazcamper

House Swap

Jim_Henry
      How about a category such as this so that community members can see different places by swapping abodes?
        • Re: House Swap
          Journey
          That's a great idea, but might not work so well for those of us who live in less than exciting areas. There are lots of places I'd like to visit, but I'm not sure how many people would want to swap their home in, say, San Francisco, with mine in the rust belt of Upstate New York.
              JerryD
              People, especially those with time, make trips to different places for different reasons. Maybe they have been gone a long time and just want to see how "rusty" the old place has gotten. Or, more likely, they have the homing sense that brings them back to where it all began and many of the important early events of their life took place.
                  Journey
                  That's a good point. I think of travel as sightseeing/vacation, but there are many other reasons people go places. So when I'm ready to start some serious travel (i.e., when my husband retires), I'll offer my house and see if there are any takers!  
                      WDParsons
                      Best of luck on your travels once your husband retires.  Where do you live?  It will be about 16 years before I can retire.  If finances were different I would like to retire now and enjoy some additional travels.  Peace
                  nindethana
                  Several years ago I belonged to a house exchange group and met some wonderful people in this group. It seemed very successful since usually a family was in your home while you were in theirs.  Was able to meet some contacts without exchanging when I went to Australia.  They were wonderful guides and allowed me to stay in their home for several nights while in Sydney.  About a year later they sent their daugther on a world adventure and she came to stay with me.  I haven't joined such a group lately although I think I am ready to begin this sort of thinking again.  Would love to have this experience with other retirees.