5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2010 7:28 PM by Pebrown

New Hampshire

AnneW
      I'm interested in relocating to New Hampshire because my pension will not be taxed.  Would love feedback from people who are retired in NH--especially about surviving winters.
        • Re: New Hampshire
          JerryD
          You don't say where you would move from. If you haven't experienced real winters which I assume NH has, it may be a tough transition. Having been raised where they have over 200 inches a year (MI, not NH), winter isn't easy as a kid let alone as an older, retired person. You may find yourself in Florida or Arizona for long periods in a 2nd home that you didn't plan for. That happened to a gung ho friend who built a beautiful home right on Lake Superior and after a couple of years even though she can't say enough good about the place spends her winters in AZ.
            JArsena436
            Hello- from a native of NH & lifelong resident!  We have a beautiful state...& yes, some very winter-y winters.  Much would depend on where you are looking, as different areas of the state have different types of weather in winter, at times.  North & rural tend to be more snowy & cold, but not always in recent years.  If you are looking at any more rural areas, it is wise for you to think about what that may mean - including less access to stores, more difficult travel in stormy weather, some power outages (I'd get a generator :) and either shoveling/plowing or paying someone to do so...along with roof shoveling in high snow years.  Some winters are much more mild - you can never tell!  Residing in our more urban areas can releive some of these issues but not all.  One thing to know - while there is no income tax, there is a pretty high property tax, so depending on your plans to own vs rent, that might be important to estimate.  There are many different cultures/environments in NH, being primarily rural or suburban except in the south end, but now that creep of new residents have increased the urban feel except in the areas above mid-state.  So - I'd say define more what you are looking for for environment, & then decide if it is a possibility.  If you come...you can always go to a warmer place for a couple of months, as many do!
                JerryD
                I must agree with JArsena436 that NH is very beautiful. I saw some impressive country when going from Rangeley Lake in Maine back down to MA through the White Mountains a few years ago. The moose was fun and I wanted to jump out and go trout fishing on the river we drove along.
                    taconner

I lived in the northeast during part of my childhood - primarily the Buffalo, New York area & some in Pennsylvania & Connecticut & I couldn't handle their winters now. One of my good buddies in the military moved & retired to New Hampshire & loves the people & the state but complains not about the weather (which he says is very cold) but about how dark it is during the winter which he says is depressing.

We moved to Texas & while it can be unbelievably hot during July & particularly August, it sure beats driving in the snow & ice. We've lived here eight years & I can count snow days on my fingers & toes.

Pebrown
                  We currently live in NH and yes, it is a beautiful state in the spring, summer, and early, early, fall. We personally can't wait to escape the cold, harsh winters and go to FL. As someone else stated property taxes and other non-income taxes are very high in some areas of NH. Registering your car may cause you to pass out from the cost.