4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 6:09 PM by arollings

Massachusetts

Queenie50
      Any ideas where the best place to live in Massachusetts? I like the idea of living on flat land with mountains all around. I especially like exploring.
        • Re: Massachusetts
          Caroart

You may like the Berkshire area ~ I live on Cape Ann ~ am ocean person ~ so I would suggest western part of the state ~ I used to ski in NH which is easy to get to from here ~ good luck.

cz

Chuck9
            I find it's useful to divide Massachusetts into three rough vertical stripes. "Eastern" Massachusetts is more-or-less (actually less, but that's probably not immediately apparent) a huge "metro" area dominated by Boston. There's lots of culture and a very high concentration of college students with all the sorts of places that serve them  ...but there are also lots of traffic jams and other headaches. "Central" Massachusetts is the Connecticut River valley - lots of old mill towns, lots of pockets of rather significant poverty. "Western" Massachusetts is rural, isolated, very-low-density  ...and also yuppie with pockets of affluence and the sorts of cutting edge restaurants you think of only being in urban areas. The state makes a conscious effort to distribute significant financial resources to both Western and Central Massachusetts, which means there are significant artistic pockets where you'd least expect them. (Of course all this is an extreme generalization and you can find pretty much anything in some pocket pretty much anywhere.)

Check out the town of North Adams, which hosts Mass MOCA (an old mill complex and part of the town that's been turned into a very large new very active statewide contemporary art museum).

The only "mountains" of even minor significance in Massachusetts are the Berkshires in Western Massachusetts (and even most of those are more "hills" than "mountains"). Also you'll find more high elevations along the northern edge of the state (the border with Vermont and New Hampshire). If by mountains you mean "snow-covered", you may need to be rather careful about picking high elevations. If you're looking for something very specific -such as a flatish rresidential area surrounded by mountains- it may work best to to find a map that overlays population density (or maybe "roads" are a  good proxy?) with topological features (you may find such things online), then use something like Google Earth to get a good feel for the appearance of the place before actually going there.
                Queenie50
                Thank you chuck9, I really appreciate your comments. I do like the Berkshires, but have never been during the snow season.I've been to North Adams and admired the serene scenery. Although I like the high elevations, and I've been to New Hampshire & Vermont; but yes, flatish residential area surrounded by mountains, is what I meant. I will check out Goggle Earth. Again, this has been valuble information to start a good search.
                arollings
                I live in Western MA (Springfield, MA). You might like the Northampton area. Valley towns (Northampton, Amherst, South Hadley, Southampton, Greenfield, Belchertown, etc.) with lots of arts, music, restaurants, etc. + Five Colleges atmosphere + easy access north to Vermont & New Hampshire and west to the Berkshires. Lots to explore and enjoy.