3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2010 8:22 AM by Yorkscat

Ireland

Vanetta
      Thinking about retiring in Ireland....anyone have any thoughts about the pros or cons of that?
        • Re: Ireland
          taconner
          I lived & worked in London for three years & visited Ireland several times back in the 80's, including five years ago when one of my kids spent a college semester over there. Beautiful place to live, but very expensive. When you live there you learn to shop at the less expensive shops but figure most things to be 1.5 to 2 as expensive as we pay, particularly housing. The Irish economy which did so well for so long is now struggling. Look at some international cost of living indexes. I was very taken with Northern Ireland & am shocked to see that the "troubles" seem to be appearing again. Other than Dublin & perhaps Belfast there are no mega-cities which may hinder the way you shop. It takes awhile to become accustomed to the omnipresent government influence & the constant complaining about the government (I know, we're getting there also).  Immigration greatly increased since we lived there & somewhat changed the way I viewed the country. Many of the small shop owners are not necessarily the nice Irish folks I remember from 25 years ago. Most Yanks are looked upon as having loads of money & the locals may try to take advantage of that, particularly for services like repairing your car & petrol is unbelievably expensive - I paid $2 for a litre, not a gallon. For me, a great place to visit. Also, it gets very cold there & driving on the other side of the road was much more difficult for me in 2005 than in the 80's - age I guess. Make sure you get an automatic as I had a stick. Good luck though.
              rfox58

I can't offer specifics on retiring in Ireland, but am thinking about at least spending partial years there after I retire. (Hopefully, the economy will survive the current problems.)

I went to Ireland in 2005, mostly visiting southern and western locations. The southern counties are surprisingly mild climate wise. I would think County Cork would have some wonderful places to retire--Clonakilty and Bantry being two of my favorites. My husband and I tend to avoid large cities--but Cork is nearby. We dearly loved Cobh, though. (By the way, it's pronounced Cove and was formerly Queensland--near where the Lusitania sunk and the last port of call for the Titanic). But don't hold that against it! <grin>

Oh, there's also a Web site for those interested in moving to Ireland. It's at http://www.movetoireland.com and they have an e-mail newsletter you can sign up for that offers lots of good advice and interesting tips.

Good luck! Let us know if you decide to do it, so we can live vicariously through you. My own retirement is at least five years away, which is killing me!

Yorkscat
                  Although I was born and raised in the US, I have Irish nationality through my grandparents (quite an easy procedure compared to the UK process) so in theory could retire there. However, the economic news from RoI is increasingly dire so I can't imagine things will be very comfortable for quite a while. And I see that the immigration of young Irish professionals to the US and Commonwealth countries is up, which will probably make the economy even more unstable.
                  Their health insurance system is a little complicated, partially private and some government subsidy, and I'm not sure how retirees from overseas would slot in.
                  I intend to head back to the UK probably in 2012.