2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 1:20 PM by jkom51

Go to British Columbia

tbear76

How I love the golden Canada of my long-ago youth.  If one wishes to spend time in Canada I have to recommend British Columbia->especially Vancouver Island.  If you have never fished, START, this island is GREAT.  The fishing is GREAT!  The people are GREAT, and you may start a new hobby that also provides you with a great source of Omega 3 oils.  The salmon run during the summer, Silvers, Chinooks and Kings.  There is also rock- & ling-cod, red snapper and during the low minus tides you can gather all kinds of great food from the ocean (oysters, clams, an occasional octopus, abalone and on and on).  You might want to avoid November to March...but for the spring/summer/fall it is a paradise.   That is my gentle suggestion for considering retirement in Canada.  Then you can spend November to March in AZ...I recommend you go south of Black Canyon City but North of Tucson.  There are even some great real estate deals in the Valley of the Sun.  Just consider WESTERN CANADA.

tjl

• Re: Go to British Columbia
          mnilan
          tbear:
          What about health care?  How do the Canadian and the US governments handle retiree health benefits?  Is citizenship required? (Not that I would mind necessarily but it would require a considerable amount of effort...
          mnilan
            • Re: Go to British Columbia
              jkom51

Vancouver Island is truly beautiful but quite large and extremely rural outside the tourist town of Victoria. Not everyone can adjust to island living.

My in-laws mostly live in Vancouver, BC and we have discovered that my MIL CANNOT emigrate to British Columbia despite her many relatives (some 200 of them). You must put down $300,000 in cash and be either a business owner who is going to open a Canadian business, or have a guaranteed job. Other provinces may have different immigration requirements, BTW.

US Medicare does not work overseas. If you come back to the US, you will be charged the age penalty for re-enrolling.

Canadian healthcare is extremely good on preventive care. Their clinics are decent and very low cost ($25-35 per visit) compared to the US. Specialty care, however, is often by waiting lists unless you can afford to pay for it on your own. The senior homes are very good, but I don't know if they would be open to US residents.

We've been told by Canadian officials that if US citizens wish to come and spend longer than the legal 6-month stay, the government is not interested in the slightest in hunting you down and deporting you (they love those US dollars coming in!). But to become a citizen just to take advantage of the low cost healthcare and housing, without ever having paid your Canadian tax dollars - not so much unless you're going to be a productive worker.