9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 2:50 PM by Randy

New Mexico as a retirement location

herbie424
      Have any of you lived in or visited Ruidoso, NM?  I am looking for a place with a decent summer and tolerable winter.  NM appeals to me; AZ does not, except for the Payson area.
        • Re: New Mexico as a retirement location
          joelg
          Hi;

I can't tell you anything about Ruidoso as we have not visited the area.  I have lived in Santa Fe for the past 14 months.  If you are interested I would be glad to share my experience.   I have only lived in western U.S.; Calif, Wyo, CO. and NM and that is my preference.   Regards, Joel 
              herbie424
              Yes, I would be interested in your opinion of NM and northern CA.  Lee
                  joelg
                  We chose Santa Fe,NM for a number of reasons, listed in order of importance; weather,  outdoor activities, culture, liberal politics.   Cost of living is the biggest negative for us, coming from Grand jct., CO.  In the final analysis the area we live in cinched the deal.  The area is called Eldorado and is about 8 miles, or 20 minutes from down town.   It presented the best compromise of  rural to urban amenities for us and cost of housing.   Mid-range home prices in Eldorado range from $300K to $450K each with 1-2 acres of land many green belt areas, lots are not fenced, 5000 acre wilderness area adjoins,  strong covenants and community spirit.  I would think Ruidoso would be cooler as it is higher elevation.    It rains way too much for us in the Eureka, CA area!    Google "Eldorado at Santa Fe" to learn more.  I would be glad to show you around.   The biggest down side we have experienced is a Santa Fe elitism.    There is a lot of wealth and a two tier culture if you are not.  I have NO commercial or $ interest or motives.  Joel
                  P.S. The sky in northern NM is truly wonderful, clean air.
                    taconner
                    We lived in Los Alamos, New Mexico for ten years & absolutely loved living there. The air is so clean & the mountains are just fantastic. Los Alamos is 7,000 feet above sea level. The one big negative in the Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Taos area is the cost of living, particularly housing. The southern part of the state, say in Las Cruces, is much more reasonable. An internet article I recently read stated that New Mexico is the 3rd poorest state & the third most dangerous. The southern part of the state is extremely poor, however northern New Mexico is quite different. My wife & I particularly liked the three cultures, Anglo, Hispanic & Native American. We had five Indian tribes within 30 miles which greatly added to the culture.  We also loved the food & I am a green chili convert. If we moved back we'd settle around Albuquerque. New Mexico is truly the Land of Enchantment.
                  PInky

Herbie,

I have not lived in the Ruidoso community, but I have visited the area and spent a couple of overnights there.  It is a beautiful area of NM.  Being at a higher altitude, it almost reminded me of northern Wisconsin.  There are a lot of pine trees and forested areas.  We rented a small cabin, and I thought we were "up north."   We were most likely there in the spring or fall and the air was clean and crisp.  You really should visit and stay acouple of nights.  It will be cooler in the summer and cooler in the winter - I believe they get some snow there, but not like norther NM where the ski areas are.  Following is a good website to check out......http://ruidosonow.com/

pinky