23 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2010 1:32 AM by portlandapd

Cool but not cold location.

herbie424
      I am looking for a place with summers that are not hot and humid and winters that are mild.  So far, I am looking at the coast of northern CA but I could use a little more sun.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
        • Re: Cool but not cold location.
          jkom51
          The coast is consistently expensive so I guess you have $$$! If you prefer sun but not super-hot, I'd go Central Coast instead. There's a reason why the Monterey-to-Santa Barbara area attracts so many people who can afford to live anywhere in the world - it's gorgeous year round, and has much more sun than the counties north of Marin, yet isn't as hot as LA/Orange ctys. Good luck to you in your search going forward.
            Sharon

I, too, want to retire to a cooler location. But as others have said, that means very expensive.

The coast of Oregon near Brookings is great but it does rain a lot.

I love the Mendicino coast in CA. Perfect for cool weather, but for some is too damp and cold.

I live in LA area and would love to retire to Monterey Bay (Pacific Grove or Carmel).Downsizing means trading a 3000 sq. ft. home for an 800 sq ft. condo and the condo will still be more expensive than our house. To live in a "cool" climate, it takes millions $ even with the recession. I could kick myself for not buying that house "way out in Malibu" years ago...now worth 2.5million. 40 years ago costs the same as we paid for our LA house...no one wanted to live "so far out."

We are thinking of NC in the mountains, but some of you have said that it is humid and hot in summer. Can't handle anything over 75degrees. Love the snow! Love the rain.

What is Denver, CO like? or Seattle or Portland for cool weather and little heat?

Thanks...love this topic.

4536rail
                Why not try the mountains of Mexico?  You have sunshine, warm winters and cool summers above 5000 feet (where most cities are).  Or you can be near the Pacific even at low elevations and still not have oppressive summer heat.
                    herbie424
                    I am interested in the mountains of NM.  Any suggestions of where it doesn't get too cold in the winter?  Thanks!
                        4536rail
                        I meant Mexico, not New Mexico.  For example, the states of Guanajuato or Zacatecas.  It almost never gets below 50 degrees or above 75.  Many other beautiful places; if you like big cities, Guadalajara. 
                            ADB

Haven't been to Mexico in 25 years, but last trip found there was a huge ex-pat community in Cuernavaca.  How about Mulege?  Or is the whole place suspect because of the narco-terrorists?

ADB

LindaWoodstock

My husband & I art visiting Lake Chapala, Mexico, south of Guadalajara in March.  I am told by people who live there, that there is a micro-climate around part of the lake where the average daily temp year-round is 74 degrees--no air conditioning, nor heating, maybe just a fireplace.  The lake is 50 miles long and anywhere from 12.5 - 20 miles across, all surrounded by mountains.  Airport is about 30 minutes away and of course, everything you could possibly need in Guadalajara (several million people).  But Ajijic and Lake Chapala are quaint 16th century villages with large US & Canadian expat communities with apparently lots of social groups for every interest.  So we will take a short visit in March and if we like it, we'll return in July for an 8-day Focus on Mexico educational program on everything you need to know to live and/or buy in Mexico, along with lots of social outings, meeting lots of expats, locals, etc. 

I live in Denver and most of 2009 was cool or downright cold.  If you remember the Rockies were in the Sept baseball playoffs and we had to wear our ski clothes & even then we were freezing.  Snow started in October & it snowed multiple times.  Over the Holidays we had single-digit temps even through last week.  We have a mild spell right now but this won't last.  Although we moved here because we love Colorado and its endless beauty, the cold winters are becoming more unbearable.  Summer & early Fall are generally beautiful with the exception of this year.  So we would like to live here in the summer and perhaps Mexico the rest of the year.  Puerto Vallarta is spectacularly beautiful with the Bay of Banderas & the Sierra Madres surrounding the city, but it is a tourist hot-spot, although we do like it a lot.  You might not want to live there from June-October because of the extreme humidity--similar to Phoenix with its high summer temps (altho its dry, not humid).  Not sure there is a perfect location for any of  us.

delgirl
                              We have looked all over.  Love the Northwest - used to live in Seattle.  We are considering Flagstaff, AZ.  Sunny winters and if you need sun, travel 1.5 hours south on the interstate to Phoenix.  Sedona is close if you want to have your crystals read.  Grand Canyon is close as is Lake Powell.  Northern Arizona University is in Flagstaff, 22,000 students.  You have the sports, discussions, arts of a college town with a VERY laid back population.  A great nordic center for cross country skiing and snowshoeing and the snowbowl is 15 minutes away for downhill and snowboarding.  Easy to get to from either Phoenix or flying into Flagstaff.  Reasonable prices for housing.  Water can be an issue. 
                                  LEK
                                  How about Prescott? 
                                      portlandapd

I want to agree with Terrif. Portland, Oregon is cool, but not cold in the winter. I have lived in Portland for three years. Each winter there has been about 1 week of very unpleasant weather (like snow or very icy). One year, it was the week around Christmas, another year it was in January. Other than that, winter weather requires a coat, and gloves are nice, but you don't need to think about heavy down coats or thick boots. You certainly don't have to worry about getting frostbite if you forget your gloves.

I have lived in California and Texas, where it was always warm and usually too hot. I didn't really enjoy spending much time outside. I do a lot of walking in Portland. Sure, it does rain, but not downpours -- it is more of a misty rain. We refer to it as drizzle. Winter is when it drizzles a lot.

Laura

www.DaybreakCohousing.org

herbie424

Hi,

I may go to Arcata, CA because we love it there, but it IS cool and wet in the winter.  Re. NC, where I now live:  eastern NC is hot and muggy in the summer. I hate it!   Try the areas around Asheville, NC. We are looking there and and Hendersonville, NC.  Much better with some limited winter.  Also, Greenville, SC if you can stand the rednecks. 

Mountainsky
                                    How about Columbia, the capital of SC, or the area around there? It is more urbane and sophisticated than Greenville, spring is gorgeous, starts early and lingers into June, the winters aren't too cold, there is lots to do, several colleges, cost of living is not as high as the states to the north.  It can get hot in the summer but the temperature can vary.  If you live on the outskirts of the city you can find a home with lots of shade  and greenery to help cool you down.
                                    muppie
                                    Seattle is a wonderful, but expensive, city to live in. Living in Seattle itself means you pay $400K for a very tiny house (Seattle has no more land to build on so existing homes are very expensive).  Food, eating out, etc. is all expensive - two large bowls of chowder @$7 each plus coffee and taxes=$21.  Florida is hot and humid in the summer and no evergreens or deep green grass (unless it is a golf course).

University towns often have intellectually interesting programs.  Where to retire to is really a problem, isn't it?
                                        mrh57
                                        Florida is really a bad place to retire. We live here, and have for most of our adult lives, and can't wait to leave.  But, the longer one lives here, the tougher it is to get out.  It's relatively cheap, but once you're entrenched here, then almost every other desireable place to move becomes prohibitively expensive.  To me, the weather is the only reason to be here...but I'll make the adjustment to somewhere colder when the time comes.  Toronto, Montreal, DC, Tucson, and Palm Springs are all on the radar.  But Tucson is the only one affordable, coming from here.
                                            muppie
                                            How about Montreal?  As an expat would you have access to healthcare?  It is very cold there though so I suppose you would have to plan to go somewhere else for part of the winter.  Florida appeals only because of the weather - we don't play golf, boat or fish so those types of activities don't matter.  The problem with Florida is, although cheap to live there, sorry to say, it is unappealing for its lack of cultural activities and it just isn't an attractive place to live.  Most places are flat condos with some single family homes and scrubby palm trees.

Florida does have sunshine however, and on a rainy, cold day like today in Chicago, that sounds very nice.
                                                mrh57

Montreal would be tres magnifiqueJe parle Francais, mais en peu.  And in cities like Toronto and Montreal, one can practically live underground in the winter...there is a whole habitrail of life under the streets, including subways, shops, restaurants, etc.  Expensive though.  As resident aliens, I believe we could get access to healthcare.   But if we moved to Canada, we would apply for citizenship (it takes at least three years to be eligible). 

Correct on all counts about Florida.  If you want to live in "fantasyland" for the remainder of your days, Disney's Celebration community near Orlando, or some gated condo complex in Naples, would fit the bill.  But culture is lacking, even in the big cities (Miami being an exception).  And this state will be one of the last to recover from this economic downturn, if it ever does. 

It was 80 degrees and sunny today, though.  So that does make things tolerable. :-)

lainie
                                              If you want to live in Seattle there are areas close by where you can find a nice home for less than 400K. Summers are usually gorgeous but short & if you enjoy the outdoors there are endless possibilities to explore.
                                                  Sharon

Other than Seattle, where it seems to rain a lot, are there any other cool places to retire?

Has anyone lived in Anacortes, WA? A retired teacher friend loves it there. She loves to sail her boat!

What about the Portland area? Does it get too hot in summer?

We want to retire "downsize" to Carmel, but nothing cheaper than $800,000 so looking for someplace else.

San Francisco, CA has the best climate! Never gets hot (maybe 2 days a year over 80degrees) and never gets cold.

Yoda

I've been pavint the road to retirement for many years now and plan to fully retire in 5 years, retired once but didn't like it. I'm from the New England are and have lived all ove this country due to my job and all have been very nice places. I also tried FL and did not find it to be cheap unless you care to live in the middle of the state but why?? We found taxes and insurance to be out of control and getting worse along with the crime. i lasted 1.5 years and was very lucky to get out just as the housing bust hit. I've since took a job in E.TN and ask myself, OK, where do I want to live when I retire, got to be nice, cheap, health  care and accessibility in and out of the area.

I love mountains, 4 seasons, good interstate system, low taxes, college town and Southern hospitality.. Maryville, TN was once listed as the best place for retirees to live, and i couldn't dispute it. TN just seems to have it all, yes it is cold in the winter but very managable and only last a few months. Still lots of bargins here.

Terrif

I live in Portland,OR and can't think of a better place.

Our weather is great...it does rain in the winter...although today it is  partly sunny and 50. The summers are not humid and there is virtually no rain. Spring can be gloomy, but I don't care. We have great museums, theaters, ballet, opera, movies and the largest bookstore in the US. Fall is glorious.

We're from the Midwest, so this is heaven in comparison.(Did I mention no or few mosquitoes?) I can't imagine living anywhere else.

krotzmc
                                                    Have friends that retired to Colorado Springs.  They love it.  They do get a bit of snow in the winter, but they tell us it doesn't last long and the temps are very mild winter temperatures.  Summers are warm but not hot; and very low humidity.  Cost of living doesn't seem to be horrible there.