3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 3:53 PM by Profjerry

travel US alone by car

I have two small dogs (11- 13 pounds), leash trained.  I would like to explore the US by myself on short or long trips, either by car, or in a small van-size RV.  I am open to ideas.
        • Re: travel US alone by car
          Profjerry
          I retired Dec '04 and I have made several solo trips mostly to the SE, FL, and GA.  I enjoy going to locations I have learned about for the purpose of nature photography.  I do not have a fixed schedule but I do have a cell phone I use to report in each evening.  I am a retired Biology Prof, so I am very happy to spend two days sitting at an osprey nest waiting for activity to photograph.  I am never in a hurry and I rarely have a daily destination in mind.  This is my idea of true retirement.
              Hi Jerry,

Your kind of travel sounds wonderful to me.  However, I want to have my two little dogs along on my travels.  That's the
              reason I've been thinking about getting a small van.  Checking in with a cell phone might allay my concerns over personal
              safety.

Marilynne
                  Profjerry
                  My travel has been in a van outfitted with a sleeping bag/pad, a cooler and my photo equipment.  I enjoy the freedom.  Every few nights I stay in a state park or commercial campground with a shower.  When my wife travels with me, we stay in a motel about every third night and we do eat better than my "single old-guy" fare.