8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2011 3:48 AM by Geno

Tips to quit smoking

MyR Community Manager
      Have you quit smoking in the past?  In recognition of the Great American Smokeout (Thursday, November 18) I invite anyone who has succeeded in kicking the habit to share a tip or two here that may help someone else follow your lead.

Thanks in advance!
        • Re: Tips to quit smoking
          JerryD
          I quit any number of times, once for a year when I found out it cost 20% more for medical insurance. After a year they retested me (Yes! They can test whether you smoke or not!), and I got the lower rate. Then I started again at my 6 or so a day.

Sad part is that all of the kids smoke too. I guess monkey see, monkey do when it comes to smoking - really was probably peer pressure. If I didn't have a kid at home that smokes and from whom I purchase my supply one cig at a time (even at a premium to fool myself that that helps to cut back), I probably would quit. Too weak and to bored to avoid them in front of me.

Too bad I can't read the writing on the wall. A high school classmate just died this week who was a heavy smoker. Before he passed, they took out a big part of his lung and a number of ribs. Gosh, if that doesn't scare you into quitting, what will?
              The simple and plain truth is that quitting smoking was so hard for me that it turned out that the only way I could do it was to pretend there actually was a Nic, short for nicotine, and to talk to him.  Basically to tell him that I was boss and I wasn't going to let him run my life. From that came my book, and a deep association with the Odyssey that ran throughout Conversations with Nic - subtitled a journey through the land of withdrawal.  My website is http://conversationswithnic.com/.
                I think the less you smoke the better so I'd say you are doing yourself a favor. Listen, most people that "quit" also relapse. I was one of those too. It was never ever never, did I say "never", it was never helpful to be told this and that about smoking or if they tried to tell me not to - what helped the most was, especially during a time I went back for a while, someone really kind but also brilliant said "Each cigarette you don't smoke is a good thing."  That was enormously helpful because I could respond to that.  Best wishes.
                I tried many times (about 100)  to quit smoking.  Nothing worked until I really meant to do it.  The other times I was just kidding myself because I didn't really want to quit.  I would use silly excuses to start smoking again.  Once it was my husband made me mad, another time we had an ice storm and power was out for several days.  Hey can't go to work; might as well smoke.  Had to drive 8 miles on solid ice to get that pack of cigarettes.  I finally did quit January 1, 2007.  Cold turkey.  I decided I wanted to watch my granddaughter graduate from college or maybe even walk down the aisle.  Wasn't going to happen if I kept smoking.  I sure have saved a lot of dollars and also improved my health in other ways.  Knowing I would probably gain weight when I quit smoking, I started a workout routine. 
                    JerryD
                    prechuspup said...

I tried many times (about 100)  to quit smoking.  Nothing worked until I really meant to do it.  The other times I was just kidding myself because I didn't really want to quit.  ... I finally did quit January 1, 2007.  Cold turkey.  ...

So true. Ya gotta want to quit. I let availability and family concerns and habit drive me.

Also agree that cold turkey is best. If I get any teeth clenching or mild headaches, I pop an aspirin or 2. After a couple of days, it's really habit that I am fighting. After 2 weeks and away from other smokers (vacation), I don't miss it. Taking just another kicks in the habit part and then then the addiction part.

I too need to have a good reason to stop AND stay stopped.

Geno

I smoked for 25 years, started when I was in the Navy, a few years ago I started a very rough cough my doctor digonosed it as COPD , a combination of asthma and broncitus , so they told me either smoke or stop breathing on your own. So I quit 30 Nov 2008, Cold turkey.....it's the only way for some of us..my advise don't let it get this bad for you, quit on your own,.

I'm doing 100 % better these days....

JerryD
                            Good to hear your success story, Geno. I quit again on Christmas. While I haven't smoked heavily for maybe 20 years, I did do around 6 a day for years. I did quit one year because of a 20% increase in medical insurance which required you be "clean" and pass a blood test. Went back again after I got my discount.

I see that you are around Grand Rapids. We were born in MI, raised in UP and had an RV for 9-10 years between Newaygo and White Cloud. Love that state except for the unions that made it go broke by breaking the auto companies (I know, the auto companies did a pretty good job themselves too.).
                                Geno
                                Thank you JerryD.   I'm sure you could quit again...Just requires a strong will power and determination.. Best of luck.   yep Michigan is a great place to live, just have to be able to support yourselve.