7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2012 7:29 AM by mayaone

Online Dating Sites

StraitFan
      Has anyone used and had success with an online dating site?
        • Re: Online Dating Sites
          sr1924
          Yes, I met my husband on eHarmony. I think it costs a little more than the others and it takes awhile to fill out the profile information to get started, but I that contributes to better results.
            MKD
            Depends on your definition of success! I've had experience with quite a few site including E harmony, Christian Mingle, Match.com, and others that are more exotic/adventurous. Each of the sites have a different culture and somewhat different membership. Currently, I am using Plenty-of Fish.com (POF.com) and that suits my needs and is also a free site; none of the foregoing are. What I'd suggest is to take some time to be clear about your dating objectives and then determine which site seems to best meet your needs.
            Hope this helps,
            MKD
              GordonG
              Yes..A few months after my wife's death, three years ago, and upon urging from a friend, I met a lady on-line through EHarmony and we began corresponding and after a couple of months met one another.  Although it is what is considered a distant relationship (180 mile apart) We have become very close.  We have  ever traveled together, spend summers together at a cottage we share, and are now thinking of spending the entire winter in a warm place sharing the cost and our time.  One of the nice aspects is that we have introduced each other to activities we would have not done our own. Two retired people can certainly do more (financially) and it is much more enjoyable.  Meeting someone on-line does not mean you are looking for marriage or other specific pursuits.  I have met others  who have not connected with "the right person" but a careful, patient, and methodical approach may open new doors for enjoyment with a new partner or companion.  
                  Chrysalis

I have not used any online dating sites--married almost 30 years and still going strong. But reading this thread got me to thinking about meeting, dating, and/or marriage at a mature age.

For various reasons (including graduate school), I did not date until I was 30. At that time, I set my cap on meeting guys, finding "Mr. Right", and getting married. What I discovered was that, because of my age and experience, I could very easily separate the wheat from the chaff. I was old enough and wise enough to know who I was and what I wanted in a man. I was well-educated and had a good job so I was not desperate to get married.

In most cases, after 2 or 3 dates I knew this wasn't a "match". Like the guy who balked and complained about washing the dishes after I cooked-- I knew that if we got married, he would soon refuse to help with the housework at all. Or the guy who arranged to meet me at a restaurant at 7 PM and when I arrived he said he had an early dinner so he would just sit and watch me eat (and pay for it myself, of course). 

So my point is that no matter how you meet new people, if you know yourself and are honest with the other person about your vales and your expectations, you will be fine. This is one of those cases where age and experience are advantages.

younggirl
                      Crysalis said...

I have not used any online dating sites--married almost 30 years and still going strong. But reading this thread got me to thinking about meeting, dating, and/or marriage at a mature age.

For various reasons (including graduate school), I did not date until I was 30. At that time, I set my cap on meeting guys, finding "Mr. Right", and getting married. What I discovered was that, because of my age and experience, I could very easily separate the wheat from the chaff. I was old enough and wise enough to know who I was and what I wanted in a man. I was well-educated and had a good job so I was not desperate to get married.

In most cases, after 2 or 3 dates I knew this wasn't a "match". Like the guy who balked and complained about washing the dishes after I cooked-- I knew that if we got married, he would soon refuse to help with the housework at all. Or the guy who arranged to meet me at a restaurant at 7 PM and when I arrived he said he had an early dinner so he would just sit and watch me eat (and pay for it myself, of course). 

So my point is that no matter how you meet new people, if you know yourself and are honest with the other person about your vales and your expectations, you will be fine. This is one of those cases where age and experience are advantages.

I understand what you are saying. My husband pass on in 1997 and he was a good husband to me. At my age now I know what to look for in a man and what I want.
                          mayaone
                          I enjoyed your write up   How true  I like the stage I am in.. I am able to see through people. Being able to screenn and be honest is a great way to be able to live and enjoy life.  The problem is it  can be a lonely living.
                      Nataliah

I have tried a couple but the results isn't that great.....my 1st date showed up with food on his face.

The second one I think was married.....he only wanted to talk on the phone and could only go out once a month.

I think I am going to leave it up to God....