11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2010 10:41 AM by Sensei2001

Childhood experiences & grandchildren

MyR Community Manager
      What aspects of your childhood do you wish your grandchildren were able to experience?
        • Re: Childhood experiences & grandchildren
          The taste of homegrown fresh food cooked from scratch with all the great aromas that linger in the kitchen and home.  The gathering of family and friends to enjoy this food and all the laughter and joking (and sometimes bickering) that went with it.  A lot of things were talked about and a lot of opinions shared over the table while enjoying these meals.
              Sensei2001

There was also the aspect of helping prepare those home-made foods, like sifting the flour for biscuits, pie crusts, etc., peeling the apples, potatoes, carrots, etc.  We didn't have video games to occupy us and keep us from getting under foot, so Grandma had to put us to "work".  It created strong bonds around the kitchen table -- and powerful, warm memories.

Not a day passes that I still don't think of my grandparents with either a chuckle or a tear ... or both.

My kids only experienced that in part, and my grandkids less so.

Cher66

My brothers and sister and I used to spend hours outside exploring the farm fields, vacant fields and lakes around our home.  It was safe for us to be out without an adult from an early age.  We laughed, we argued, we bickered and we watched out for each other.   We bonded in a way my grandchildren may never get the chance to do.

Doug689
                I know there are lots of great growing up experiences that I had, some I would rather not repeat, and others, well, I believe mine were fantastic, and I know my children had their own.   I trust too, that I will grab those moments when they occur with my grand children.  However, I also am very aware that they will be different, modified, changed by the culture in which the.  They see their grandparents weekly, if not more often via skype, even though we're in Ohio and they are on opposite coasts. 

What is the childhood of someone who gets born with computers in their midst, some as big as a 52" tv and others as small as a cell phone?  Much less all the other technology that exists.  WOW.. I know I cannot imagine what is to come. So, I grab every moment I have, and suggest maybe it will be the moments when my grand children showing me how to negotiate a video game (not that I am a fan, but the Wii seems to offer my wife and I lots of entertainment.)  There will be quite some world for them to reflect upon when they are entertaining their children and grand children.  I sometimes only regret that I won't get to see what it is to be like. 
                    JerryD
                    I was raised in a very rural area back in a time when almost everybody left their doors unlocked and weirdos didn't seem to exist (or at least we knew who they were). As a kid, I could leave in the morning, play all day, even a mile or more away, and come home for dinner with no parental concerns. When I was just a bit older, I would gather my fishing gear, walk to the edge of town and hitchhike to my favorite streams for a day of fishing. Dad would pick me up miles from home when he got home from work. I got lots of exercise walking and learned to enjoy the solitude and beauty of nature from my very own experiences. My kids and certainly not my grandkids ever experienced this level of freedom and self-directed entertainment without the present day fears.

memargo122

We seemed to not have a care in the world, except for doing well in school. We were on the bicycle path all day in summer,
                        ran under sprinklers, played stickball in the street, had penny carnivals. Board games were big. So were a deck of cards.
                        We knew all the neighbors. Every October there was one day when Mother would surprise us after school. Off the school
                        bus, my brothers and I would know that day as soon as we opened the door. Apples and sugar aroma, trays lined up in the
                        Kitchen. Mom made jelly apples that day. For the neighborhood kids.  Our "job" as the 3 kids of this wonderful mom was to
                        take these trays, knock on every door and deliver jelly apples according to the number of kids in the house. Let's see...
                        The Smith's get 3, The Grants get 4 and the O'Donnovans get 8. On and on.....
                        Thank you for the memory. Thank you for "taking me back"
                        Susan
                            bluesman
                               I too was raised in a small farm environment. Technology was grabbing two teats and aiming into a milk bucket! LOL! You learned as a young boy... about age four or five and had fun doing it with your grandparents. Then there was the plowing and learning to talk to the mule in a manner that he would do what you wanted him too with the plow. What times those were!
                               Playtime was another matter, it seemed it never ended. By the time I was six me and a next door neighbor, Joe (half mile down the road) would tell our moms we were going to the lake to fish. The lake was a good three mile walk. All our moms would tell us was to be home before dark. Our stringer was never full, but sometimes we brought home a few catfish and a few crappie.
                               Going to school was another thing... it too was a good two miles away. Once we learned the routes, we rode our bikes to school every day and never worried about anyone bothering us. The girls rode their bikes to school too and after school it was a rush to our bikes to see who could get home first! Many of us learned new routes home by following each other home and playing bike games all the way. My house and Joe's were the furthest away so we were most always the last. Those were good days... and what was air conditioning? You were thankful if you had an attic fan!
                                memargo122

How the definition of technology has changed. (yours is a good one)  Thinking back, our bikes were our passport.

Don't get me started on hot summers.   Or maybe do...for the memories.

If you had steps in your house, that meant in summer the hottest part of the house was UP.

You had attic fans, we had "exhaust fans".   We All had Sweat Beads on our foreheads.

We had Uncle John on his bike with his freezer bringing Marino Italian Ices with wooden spoons wrapped in white paper.

Thanks again, Susan

TroutBum
                                    If I have grandchildren I hope they experience a grandfather like mine. He must have been the greatest outdoorsman of all times and he obviously needed my help! When he carved fishing lures I painted them. When he built duck decoys I helped to sand. When he gathered worms to take me fishing I dug through the peat moss with my hands. He even taught me that the best time to steal one of my grandmother's cookies was when we heard the screen door squeak as she went outside to the clothes line.
                                    Every kid needs a grandfather like I had.
                                        JerryD
                                        I wish I had known even one of my grandparents. But my FIL raised my little petite, only child wife like a boy. Her Mother worked afternoons and the FIL worked close so they spent much time together in the garden, cooking, in the woods right across from them, learning to drive a stick-shift Jeep before she was 13, etc. just like a father would do with a son. Fortunately, our older kids got to spend time with the FIL when we went out on camping trips BY OURSELVES in his camper. When he came to live for a few winters, the kids got to see Grandpa up close and friendly. Even I loved to hear his stories about living out-of-town when horses, walking, skis or snowshoes  were the only means of transportation.
                                          Sensei2001

My grandpa taught me to play golf when I was four, to whittle when I was five or six, and to fish when I was eight, and to set the timing on a car when I was twelve.  As far as I knew back then, that was the way it was supposed to be done.  Some things your parents taught you, but there were special things only your grandparents taught you.  As I look back on it now, it was the things that required PATIENCE that your grandparents seemed to teach you more about ....

As I approach retirement, my greatest fear is that I won't have the opportunity to teach my grandkids the things that require patience.