4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2008 12:24 PM by wolflady

Sandwich Generation

ff_rolemodel
      Some of us are facing increasing needs of our parents, while we are still very involved in meeting the needs of our adolescent children.  We're pulled two ways at once.  We are called the "sandwich generation" because our parents and our children are the bread, while we're the "meat" in the middle!  We've got the resources and the energy that our parents and our children need.  Anybody struggling with this?
        • Re: Sandwich Generation
          florrie
          Yes, I am presently struggling with this issue with my 86 year old mother.  It is a very frustrating situation to be in, while trying to juggle work, spending time with my husband and my younger son (17) who still lives at home.  I have found an organization called Lifespan very helpful--they have elder counselors who assist caregivers and elderly and offer advice.  Look up the Office for the Aging in your state/county and they should be able to refer you somewhere to get help on this.  Good luck.
              wolflady
              Hi...I had my mom move in with me several years ago when she was 87.  Because her significant other was a jerk, she really had withdrawn from the world, had what appeared to be alzeheimers.  Because I live alone and work I found it a very difficult balance.  I found the senior citizen services very helpful, and did get her into a daytime senior program (senior daycare).  With all the social contact from them, and with lots of light, and fresh vegetables (and fruits), she made a major comeback.  She didn't become her old self, and every now and then there were signs of dementia, but, it certainly wasn't anything worse.  And she could even be lett alone for a few hours at a time.  After 2.5 years wtih me she died of a stroke.  Good luck.  And don't try to do it alone.
                  florrie
                  To wolflady,

Thanks for your advice--I am in the process of working with an elder counselor with a local organization called Lifespan, and I am trying to get help from them in dealing with all of this--it is exhausting and frustrating all at the same time!  I'll let you know how everything works out.  I know I can't deal with this alone.
                      wolflady
                      Hi again.
                      I'm sure every area has its own variation of an elder council agency.  I did some searching on the web and in the local yellow pages.  Both were very helpful.  Good luck, and know that you aren't alone in this.  And if you need to "talk" feel free to email.

Bev